Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hi from Down Under

Colinna

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I'm new to Axolotl keeping although I'm an old hand at freshwater tropical aquariums. ;)

My son recently turned 5 and begged me to set up an Axolotl aquarium for him. We currently have six aquariums running (including the Axols). So after setting up and cycling over the christmas/new year period with a few juvenille mollies we now have a Axolotl tank set up. Oh and the mollies are back in their "other" tanks.

Other tanks we have:
4 ft 60g: 1 angelfish, 3 tiger barbs, 1 white tetra, 7 serpaes, 5 GBR's, 4 clown loaches, 5 albino corys, 4 bronze corys, 4 mollies & 3 BN plecos.
2ft 20g: 1 angel, 3 pepper corys, 6 mollies, 1 albino BN pleco & 1 Otto.
7g (28l) FW: 2 x Dwarf gouramis, 1 baby guppy & 3 yoyo's
5.5g (21l) FW: Planted, 9 neon tetras, 2 pepper corys, RCS & 1 guppy.
5.5g (21l) FW: 5 harlequin rasboras, 6 black Khulis & RCS.
3ft Axolotl tank 1 x black, 1 x gold

We also have two German Shepherd dogs and an Indian Ringneck parakeet.

We are in Australia, just south of Brisbane in Queensland.

Anyway, just thought I'd pop on in here and wave. :cool:

I'll pop on over into the other Axolotl section to show my tank etc.

Cheers!

Ken Worthington

Reaction score
Hi and welcome :happy:
Nice collection!
A 3ft tank for two axies sounds good.
Any chance of any photos?
Feel free to browse the forum and ask any questions ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1