Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Housing my juveniles

DeCypher

Reaction score
I apologize for making so many threads today, but I feel this one is necessary.

I was thinking about putting my 2 two-inch Axolotls in a plastic tub, instead of their giant 20-gallon tank. It's very hard to maintain this tank right now, because they eat so much. I am also notorious for overfeeding :D

Is it okay if I put the two in a plastic tub with daily 100% water changes, or should I just keep them in the tank?

~One of the reasons why I thought this is because I don't know how the water quality is in the tank yet. They are showing signs of stress, and I believe water quality is the primary factor.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Plastic tubs are definitely the way to go with juvenile axolotls. It is so much easier to monitor their feedings and do water changes. I house mine in plastic tubs till they are about 4 inches in size then they are upgraded to a 10 gallon tank.

DeCypher

Reaction score
Will it be stressful on them if I make 100% water changes every day (and have to pick them up with a net every day)?

Rhysmachine101

Reaction score
I wouldn't think that 100% water changes would be necessary maybe just 50% every second day with spot cleans in between- I am not entirely sure on this, but it seems sensible to keep some of your cycled water in there.
Experiment for a couple of days and see how the water parameters go.

If you don't have some testing kits already you should see about getting some as soon as you can (they can be pricey, I know)- they really are invaluable. :)

Last edited:

DeCypher

Reaction score
Should I put in a space to hide, or can I just leave the tub totally bare?

Rhysmachine101

Reaction score
I think bare would be fine. I've seen plenty of people do it.
But I don't see how having some places to calm the temptation of feeding off each other could hurt.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Will it be stressful on them if I make 100% water changes every day (and have to pick them up with a net every day)?

With the smaller plastic containers you will need to do water changes every other day or so, therefore picking them up with a net is one of those you can't really get around. Look at it this way, it is better to have an axie stressed (if at all) for a few minutes than sitting in harmful water for however many hours.

Should I put in a space to hide, or can I just leave the tub totally bare?

It won't hurt to put something for them to hide in or under. I like to float plastic plants.

DeCypher

Reaction score
The only container I have available is about 7.5 inches long x 4.5 inches wide x 5 inches tall. Is this okay to house 2 juveniles until they reach 4 inches?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Not both in one tub. And it's a little small for one. Why do you need to house them in that until they're 4 inches long?

DeCypher

Reaction score
It's a real pain to keep them in a 20-gallong aquarium. They eat so much, and I am notorious for overfeeding. It's messing up the water quality, and they both have forward-curled gills. The leucistic one also hasn't eaten since yesterday morning. He/she is too busy hiding inside an Anacharis plant.

Reaction score
You can get some larger tupperware containers that are good for raising them separately and pretty cheap. The plastic bottom will allow them a little more grip, while being easier to spot clean. I agree that you shouldn't need to do 100% water changes daily, but you can suck up some of the water with a turkey baster(along with the poop) and continue to top off with clean water. You could also have a system of several containers and setting up a new, clean one, then quickly moving them over into that with a smaller container, net, etc., so that they're stress is minimized. I would get some pvc pipe cut(any lowes/home depot will do it for you) or some other type of hide as constant exposure can be stressful.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They should be switching to earthworm chunks before too long. I switched all mine around 3 inches. That will eliminate the overfeeding issue.

DeCypher

Reaction score
How would that eliminate the issue?

I am sorry for asking so many questions, I am quite new to Axolotls. :D

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You just feed them as much as they'll eat in 15 minutes. Then you remove any uneaten food.

DeCypher

Reaction score
Okay. I will probably just keep them in the tank they are in now, with more frequent water changes (unless the water chemistry gets really bad). Thank you all for the help and advice!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1