Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

When do you know its time to force feed?

Cas

Reaction score
I've had my female adult axie for about 5-6 months now but she hasn't eaten since Jan1. Usually she was a fantastic eater snatching at anything that came near her (fingers included) and would sniff out frozen brine shrimp on the bottom of the tank. At first she would take food but in the next 30s-5mins spit it back out. For about the first 2 weeks she was interested but just couldn't keep food down. Now she wont even make the effort and will sit with it right smack infront of her nose for 10-15mins before I take it out. I wasn't too worried at the start but she's looking painfully thin, and her colour is very dull (golden albino). She also used to be quite active but now just sits on the bottom in one spot not even bothering to come over and say hi like she used to.

So when do you know its time to force feed? I don't want to make her more stressed, but I fear she has one foot in the grave. Anyone with success stories to make me brave? And even better advice? I've read the instructions which are really helpful, has anyone done it by themselves though, my partners not keen on helping?

Other info: It's been hot here recently but I've managed to keep the temp even at 21/22 degrees and this started when water temp was a constant 19 so I'm not sure water temp is affecting her appetite. Water quality is fine also, and nothing in the tank she could have swallowed (bare-bottomed). She has a 3 foot tank to herself. Generally she ate frozen beef heart, brine shrimp or bloodworms depending on what I felt like giving her.

lea

Reaction score
The water temp could be making her feel a bit poorly. Maybe if you tried to give her nice wriggly earthworm she might be bored with the same stuff. Earthworms are the best food you can give your axie.
Lea

Ken Worthington

Reaction score
All I can add is that keeping the temperature down is a priority.
A cold-blooded animal can survive much longer without food than a warm-blooded human might imagine.
Saying that, it has been a while.....just keep posting any updates here on the forum and we'll try to help, Cas ;)

blackdog

Reaction score
I'd say the temp could be the issue too.

If all other factors are taken out (impaction, fungus, infection, injury) , what else could it be?

You say 21/22 celc is the average, but what are you basing that on? You cant be measuring the temp every five minutes, so who is to say what it got up to when you are not around.

Frankly, i find it a little hard to swallow that a tank that averaged 19 celc before an Aussie hot summer has only gone up on average 1-2 degrees. My three foot tank would go up to 22 celc on day where the ambient temp was 27-29 celc before i got a chiller. Actually, that is what scared me into buying a chiller, i didnt want to think about what three days of 40+ celc would do to them (broiled axie maybe? :) )

I have a 2 ft minnow / shrimp tank, and on hot days it has been known to climb 5-6 degrees celcius. I've seen it as high as 27 celc, and that is only what i've seen, it may have gone higher on some days.

It would not be inconceivable that your tank is climbing to 24 + and you just dont see it. That would make the little axie feel poorly.

Can you try to lower the temp of the tank? There are lots of methods for that, but i have found the easiest and most stress free buying a chiller. I got a haliea for a 3 ft tank for about $350 delivered.

It is an outlay, but it's nice to sit back on a 30+ day and not be stressing about the tank temp

Bren

Cas

Reaction score
Actually I can measure the temp 5-10mins at a time given that I have had the last 4 weeks at home and the tank is right next to my computer. I have revamped computer fans and interchange 2 or 4L ice blocks on hot days to keep the temp down. The other tank in my house will hit 26/7 on hot 40 degree days when the light is on. But no Axies in there. I tend to keep my house pretty cool because otherwise I i'd be feeling quite poorly also.

You'll also remember that before Christmas there was a cold spell for 2 weeks, and thats why the temperature was lower. (or at least there was in Sydney) I agree that it would be a lot less stress to buy a chiller, but the stress on my bankaccount going negative is something I have to consider also, so at the moment I'm halfway there.

Cas

Reaction score
After some planing I think I can manage $350 maybe stretching to $380, but I can't seem to find any within this price range. (I'm cracking the whip and making my partner work overtime lol)

Where did you find yours Bren? Or does anyone else know a good place to get one from in Sydney?

Cas

Reaction score
It was a major help!

Thanks, I am soon to be the proud owner of a cool axie once it gets here. Here's to hoping it gets here in time, I've seen one day deliveries that turn into 1 months, so I'm praying that doesnt happen to me!

Ken Worthington

Reaction score
(I'm cracking the whip and making my partner work overtime lol)
I love it when a plan works smoothly, like clock-work, not to mention the 'domination' aspect lol :D......let us know how you get on with the chiller, btw

Cas

Reaction score
Lol domination... indeed although Im willing to admit he mostly came pre-trained with 5 sisters besides neither of us wish to kill poor Zora so he's happy to work extra hours.

She's in the fridge at the moment until the chiller gets here, I didn't want to do it, worrying that it will place extra stress on her but it's probably the best option for the moment. Im freaking out constantly making sure the water isnt too low. That chiller better arrive soon!! lol

siona

Reaction score
What a great axie owner! - I hope her new chiller cheers her up. In the meantime, the fridge is probably doing her good - chilling out in a dark box - lovely!

Cas

Reaction score
I disagree, If i was a great Axie owner then I wouldnt have had this problem in the first place. If anything this is almost a last minute attempt to fix the mess I created.

She's still not eating, but hopefully she happened to swallow some of the brine shrimp I left floating around before changing the water.

Ken Worthington

Reaction score
I disagree, If i was a great Axie owner then I wouldnt have had this problem in the first place.
To me, and I imagine most forum members, you are a great axie owner for a number of reasons....
You've taken time to join the forum, and post questions.
You obviously care for your axie no end.
You are willing to spend your time and money to keep them happy.
Need I continue?
Axies, apparently can exhibit the bizarrest behaviour and mood swings, at the best of times.

Fingers crossed ;)

Cas

Reaction score
Maybe I'm just insane, my parents certainly think I am but I dislike it when the "It's only a $2 goldfish", or "Your spending $317 on a $29 fish" saying comes out. Doesn't matter how many times you tell them its NOT a FISH either! lol. Death is still death.

Zora should be happy though I took the money from the human's get aircon fund, that damn "fish" is getting aircon before us!

Is it normal for them to lose mucus in the fridge? She seems to be shedding it, if I gently swoosh the water over her body with a pipette it seems to just come right off, she wasn't loosing any in the first 10h of being in the fridge.

Cas

Reaction score
Well she's been in nice cold water (18oC) for almost a week now and still not eating (in the fridge for 3-4 days prior to that). The really odd thing is though she seems to be getting fatter? She is definitely not as thin as she was prior to entering the fridge. Anyone else experienced this? I know their metabolism reduces, but I would expect size to remain the same at best.

I'm sure its not because she was raiding the human food in the fridge during her brief visit. So any thoughts? Still trying to coax her to eat without force feeding, she is showing interest in food again which is good but not enough to do more than a half-assed snap at it. Maybe I will just have to bit the bullet ...

lea

Reaction score
i think it might be time for a vet visit or at least contact.....if she is swelling up and not eating there could be a big issue going on in her little body(infection to organ failure). I have never had experience with this stuff so really im of not help to you or your axie. someone will jump in with help.
I hope everything goes well
lea

Cas

Reaction score
I rang an exotic vet (boy they are hard to find) he said only to worry if the swelling is uneven, fast occurring and looks like it might be concentrated in one spot. It's all over and not very pronounced so I guess I shouldn't worry too much.

It seems she just wanted warmer water, she started eating again once I warmed the water to 19 degrees. If anyones interested she's just gone 44 days, month and half without eating... some diet!

lea

Reaction score
wow..44 days...she must be a fighter
any wonder you are beside yourself...you are doing a great job
lea

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1