Floating

Dreamseru

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Just noticed this as im going to bed now, my axolotl was floating at the top of the waters surface, but has now sunk, and has shown movement in the head so I know shes still alive,

I looked up my printout of the FAQ and she apparently had been swallowing too much air or swallowed gravel which is impossible as all the stones are bigger then her head, in another thread that I cant find anymore I posted stating that she was swallowing air, and it could be a water problem, now I have following the instructions on the FAQ reduced the amount of water in the tank, but not as much as I was told to as shes now at the bottom, tomorrow im going to put some fresh water in as itl have done its 24 hour sitting still, just thought I should mention this in case an expert immediately recognizes something that neither me nor the FAQ has.

any tips?

Hey,

How old is your axie, Dreamseru?

A lot of axies, especially juvies, seem to float for the sheer fun of it, so it might be that!

Does your axie seem distressed? Lowering the water level is a good idea if he/she is struggling to get to the bottom, but if he's just floating lazily, it's quite likely just an axolotl thing.

That said, keep an eye on him in case anything else changes, or your axies develops any symptoms.

It's worth checking the water parameters at this stage, to make sure the water is in prime condition for your axie. Do you have a testing kit?

Also, what is the water temperature? I understand that warmer water holds less available oxygen, worth considering?

:)

dont have anything to test the water at the moment, was planning on getting all the testing kit and chemical type stuff when we went off to buy more food next.

the friends I got her off of have had her for at least three years, but I dont know how old she is for certain

Sometimes they swim to the surface to gulp air, and then just kind of 'hang' there for a bit. It's pretty normal. If you notice she's floating excessively, or is having trouble getting back to the ground, then you have reason for concern.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back