Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Bleeding Gills - Please Help!

Platterpus

Reaction score
Hi Everyone - I have searched for this thread but answers given do not seem to relate....

We have one axolotl who is bleeding from the gills. She was perfectly healthy, with large fluffy gills and started to float yesterday. Now her gills are deteriorating and bleeding.
Water parameters are fine, is cool enough, her tank mates are fine and she has not injured herself or been nipped. No fungus or any other signs of disease. There is nothing sharp in the tank and we do not use substrate.
We have 24 axolotls and well over 1000 litres of water over several tanks, which we maintain every day. We are not newbies and have been breeding successfully for a couple of years and have never seen this before.
Very worried about our girl - any experts out there with any other suggestions? We are fridging her now....

Platterpus

Reaction score
Picture attached

Attachments

• SDC14989.jpg
    SDC14989.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,452

Platterpus

Reaction score
Thanks Julia
I read that post - It delves into neighbour not caring for them properly and then fungus care...not really helpful :confused:

kuphie

Reaction score
Do you use feeder fish? Maybe it's gill flukes along with a nasty secondary bacterial infection.

I had a similar problem, all my axolotls were kept in the same filter system as fish at the pet store. They would randomly have parts of the gills just disappear, seemingly fall off over night then grow back just as fast. No fluffy white fungus to be see! And salt baths didn't help! My golden sunny actually died before I could figure it out. They all seem fine now *fingers crossed*

API general cure works on skin and gill flukes.
Active ingredients: 250mg metronidazole, 75mg praziquantel per packet

Reaction score
Thanks Julia
I read that post - It delves into neighbour not caring for them properly and then fungus care...not really helpful :confused:

To me at least, it seems very similar. They don't think it has to do with neighbor care as they weren't left alone that long anyways and the neighbor has taken care of them before. It seemed more like something in the water affecting them. The fungus arose as the gills were falling off, leaving open wounds where fungus can easily take hold, which could end up happening to yours as well.

Gill flukes may be a strong possibility, but could be another type of infection or parasite. Hopefully you can find a remedy to help stop further damage.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1