Hi

darkkiss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
i'm new on this site obviously as i'm doing the intro bit lol, i'm hoping someone can help me, i rescued this little one from a startled neighbours screams yesterday, she was rather shocked to find her in her greenhouse.
i know shes a salamander of some kind but i have no idea what kind and pretty sure shes not ment to be living out in english suburbia, i know none of my neighbours keep exotic pets and behind us is a small industrial estate so no idea where shes come from, my reptile books only have pics of fire and tiger salamanders and her markings don't look like theirs, not that i know shes a she lol. i'll admit i'm more of a reptile than amphibian keeper, tho i do have a baby clawed frog called grumpy, my last one was doc, and i did for some years have a 3 legged crested newt that i rescued from my mums lawn mower called pissed as.
shes only about 3 inches long and seems to like the dark as last night she didn't come out till my viv lights had gone out and has done the same this evening. shes black with grey markings that go silver in the light, sorry pics a bit fuzzy. i've set her up temperarily in a large plastic pet tank with some organic potting compost and put a small water dish in and a few hides, thats kind of the extent on my salamander keeping knolledge so any info would be great, i must admit i'm taken with her, shes very pretty and seems to love her grub, wolfed down 2 small earthworms last night before retreating under a bit of bog wood.
on a side note i also have a blue tongue skink called raspberry, ber for short, and my lad has a hermans tortoise called alice cooper and some african land snails.
sorry i've gone on a bit lol.
if anyone can tell me what she is it would be great, thanx :)

Attachments

• DSC00646.jpg
    DSC00646.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 103
Hi, welcome to the forum.
What a bizarre story! It looks like Ambystoma opacum (commonly known as Marbled Salamander). For care information I would advise you have a look at: Caudata Culture Species Entry - Ambystoma opacum
Do you know what you are going to do with it?

They make good captives. Secretive, but they thrive.

Now... how on earth did it get into a green house all the way across the ocean?

thanx for ur quick reply had just finished posting her in the pics section too lol. i have asked about but as i said in my post none of my neighbours keep anything like an exotic pet, they all think i'm rather odd with my reptiles and them with their dogs and cats lol. but i put a notice up in the local shop window and spoke to a mate that helps from time to time in a local pet rescue centre, so will see if anyone gets back to me. if no one does in a couple of weeks i'll see about getting her or him a bigger more permenant home. she won't be the 1st stray i've taken in over the years and as mum said its doubtful she'll be my last lol.

She is lovely, what an amazing discovery. I recently got a group of these and, so far have found them very shy. I wonder if someone had them, didn't find them interesting enough and let them go.

robm
thanx for the link was very helpful, pics look just like her
kaysie and bellabelloo,
my mate said that someone prob just desided they didn't want her and let her go, my skink was found like that someone had dumped him in a box of stuff outside a charity shop. but god knows how she made her way into my neighbours greenhouse, poor woman was scared half to death. her hubby was none too happy either, thought it was one of my lizards done a runner, not sure he beleaves that she isn't

She looks healthy, and has probably been eating all sorts of insects in their greenhouse :D

thanx for the help everyone and the warm welcome

Good job on the rescue. She's gawwgeous! Best of luck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back