Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Does substrate color affect axolotl color

wilsonlin45

Reaction score
I have a leucistic juvie axolotl and a wild type (both about 3 inches). I have them on black sand and i've noticed that there are more black spots (similar to peppering on discus fish) appearing on its face and the gills are not as pink as when i first bought it. would this be the black sand's affect or is there another cause?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Leucistics develop their freckles over time. This isn't caused by the black sand. The lightening of the gills is usually because they're inactive. The gills will get redder when it's more active.

AuraCantos

Reaction score
Axolotls aren't readily "active." They more the "stumble around at my own pace" kind of critters. Matter of speaking, if you have an axolotl that's TOO active, it can turn out to be a bad thing. Sometimes lotls will get more active when you're hanging around the tank, mostly because they think they're going to get something yummy out of it. :)

wilsonlin45

Reaction score
oh was the post before referring to the gills being more active or the axolotl in general?

AuraCantos

Reaction score
I was referring to the axolotl in general, but it ties into the same thing anyway: more active axolotl, brighter gills. Less active axolotl, paler gills. For example, I find that my leu's gills get very pink when I feed her, or she's moving around the tank. When I first turn the light on in the morning, they're very pale, just barely pink.

^_^

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
When the axolotl is more active, the gills will be redder. That's because they have an increased demand for oxygen, so there's more blood flowing through the gills.

carsona246

Reaction score
I'm actually a little curious if sand color might change the color of wildtype axolotls. I know in some fish the substrate will cause them to either darken/lighten there colors. For instance senegal bichirs tend to be lighter in white sand, but if you switch the substrate to darker sand they will darken up

axolotlfriend

Reaction score
i actually read some where that they did a study on this and they claimed it did affect the axolotls color. it was done in asia...i'm searching for the article now.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I have to say the substrate will affect the colour. A year or two ago I raised a batch of eggs. Somehow one larvae ended outside in a tank I had for catching various pond life. This little one (Called Rogue ) stayed out all winter, and was only discovered in the spring when I had decided to clean up the tank. She was considerably smaller than her siblings . The base of the tank was mainly glass with areas of light sand, she appeared to be a heavily speckled gold colour, the tank was kept much lighter . I brought her in doors to a sectioned off area of the main tank. This had nearly black sand and was kept much darker. With in a day or two, she had become a dark wild type.
Every summer she comes for a little holiday . She is kept in a covered plastic (blue) jumper box, outside in a cool area of the patio. She starts off a dark wild type, by the end of her holiday she has the most amazing gold high lights. Her owner barely recognises her.
If I remember this year, I will try to remember to take before and after pics. Roll on July.

Last edited:

MereB

Reaction score
That is very very cool Julia. Can't wait to see those pics :D

Wish I had some insight for you but was really just curious about the answer :eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1