Filtered water?

axolotlfriend

Reaction score
Country
United States
This might be a stupid question but i can't seem to find the answer.

i have a water filter and i was thinking about using it to provide my water for my axolotls. is this okay? i know that its not good for the water to be too soft. Would filtering the water make it unsuitable?

if i use a water filter would i also need to use a dechlorinator?

thanks

i believe external filter is best because internal produce some heat although many people use internal filters without a problem.

sorry i should of been more specific. i don't have a tank filter i meant like a pitcher that filters water.

this is what i have: ZeroWater - Products

I would still use a dechlorinator. Water pitcher type filters don't get everything out of the water.

Is there something wrong with your tap water that you feel you need to use filtered water on your tank?

It should be ok to use in combination with a water de-chlorinator.

perhaps test water chemistry (ph, hardness, etc) and fill it with some of your tank water, then sit it overnight and test again the next day and note the changes, if they are too extreme, it could stress your animal.

I would still use a dechlorinator. Water pitcher type filters don't get everything out of the water.

Is there something wrong with your tap water that you feel you need to use filtered water on your tank?

yea my tap water is undrinkable it's very very dirty. i even use the filtered to make water to cook pasta. my water comes out white its really disgusting.

I would filter it and dechlorinate it then.

Have a look around 'cause you can get water conditioners for aquariums that remove heavy minerals and metals as well. Just check it's okay to use with Axos.

I would filter it and dechlorinate it then.

Have a look around 'cause you can get water conditioners for aquariums that remove heavy minerals and metals as well. Just check it's okay to use with Axos.

sounds like a plan =p

As far as I know, as long as you're using a dechlorinator at the recommended levels, there's no danger in adding it even if there is no chlorine in your tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back