What kind of fire-belly do I have?

jaysondavid

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jason
I purchased my fire-belly from a very reputable aquatic store, however, 99% of their animals are fish. On the receipt, they include the binomial nomenclature, but when I purchased my fire-belly, this was not included. They pretty much were correct in telling me okay tank mates, and how to set up the aquarium.

She, or he, is approximately 5.5 inches, with a flat tail, and I would not consider her skin to be particularly smooth. I'm guessing, due to her size, she's not a Chinese fire-belly, so I was thinking possibly Japanese. Then I noticed that her tail resemble the tail of the paddle, being that it's laterally flattened. I know that a Japanese fire-belly will do okay in warmer water, whereas, the Chinese require cooler waters. I will include pictures. Thanks in advanced to all those whom can help.

Attachments

• IMG_0204.jpg
    IMG_0204.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 415
  • IMG_1471.jpg
    IMG_1471.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_4754.jpg
    IMG_4754.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_7208.jpg
    IMG_7208.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_8902.jpg
    IMG_8902.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 345
It's a warty newt- most probably Paramesotriton chinensis. Not a CFBN or JFBN.
They pretty much were correct in telling me okay tank mates, and how to set up the aquarium.
What tankmates?

Yes, this is definitely Paramesotriton chinensis

P.chinensis, no doubt. I too would like to know which tankmates they recommended as there are few things suitable to share space with these newts, and pet shops are remarkably good at giving dodgy information.

Yes, definitely looks like a P. Chinensis!

My P. Chinensis is also named Sir Isaac ;)

P.chinensis is one of the more common newts carried periodically by fish suppliers.

Also they commonly come with or soon develop ulcer like soars along their bodies.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back