Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

We have eggs

Rhandi Claxton

Reaction score
We have a pair of axies, I bought for my daughter a year ago. Yesterday we found eggs in their tank. Of course I removed the parents to a new tank. Now the search for food to feed the babies begins. I would love to know where I can get daphnia. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

kirstyandmark

Reaction score
I have eggs to there 5 days old and its also my first time i have been to my local aquatic shop they are ordering the food for me maybe you can go to your local store i wish you every success :happy:

Erzs

Reaction score
Hi! Congratulations on the axolotl egss!

I'm afraid I've never raised baby axolotls! So incase your local pet shop can't help, you might find some helpful information in this section of the Axolotl forums: Eggs, Larvae & Breeding =]

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I moved this post to the forum that Erzs recommended.

I've never heard of any pet shop in the US selling daphnia. You can order them online from various places. If you want a supply that lasts more than a few days, you either have to order them weekly (which costs a small fortune) or you have to culture them. Some people find it easier to hatch out brine shrimp eggs.

Once the larvae gain some size, I'd recommend live blackworms. In fact, if you can find a local pet shop that sells them, you can raise the larvae from day-1 on chopped live blackworms and skip the other foods.

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Ask the user "Twistedfisher" on these forums for daphnia, they are great at feeding newly hatched axies and I'd highly recommend him.

axolotlfriend

Reaction score
check out ebay thats where i got mine. they have a pretty good kit that contains daphnia, Algae culture, and yeast to feed your daphnia while you start culturing your algae. its not too expensive either. good luck with the eggs =p

Rhandi Claxton

Reaction score
I am asking our local technical high school's Bio Environmental teacher he could help with the daphnia. How long would it take for me to 'grow my own' and will it be enough to feed all the little guys? I would like to have all the fertile ones survive. I think they will hatch around valentines day so the clock is ticking..

Rhandi Claxton

Reaction score
Thank you I pm'ed Twisted Fisher and am awaiting my daphnia. I have 'pulled' some eggs from the tank and placed them into a plastic container, with a bubbler, about 3 days ago. They do not seem to be developing as quickly as the ones I left in the tank. I did put a small heater into the plastic container yesterday. It is fascinating to watch the little guys flip their tails inside the eggs. But my plastic container eggs only a few are showing signs of movement. Was it wrong for me to move them??

bayhicoach

Reaction score
The temp in your axie tanks should be less than 70 F. Lower is better but it slows down the development of the larvae. This means you will see less movement as well. Be patient with your axies and they will do much better.

Rhandi Claxton

Reaction score
So we have the daphnia, BIG THANK YOU to twistedfisher. The eggs I initially removed I put back in with the others, they seem to be moving more now. I am so anxious for them to start hatching... I sit in front of the tank for hours just watching them wiggle. They are all white, both mom (lily) and dad (milo) are albino. The water is a steady 64-65 degrees, so should I expect two weeks or closer to three for hatching. Monday will be two weeks, so I am driving everyone crazy with my anticipation. Does it matter if I leave a few eggs in there that have not developed, there are a few that are 'attached' to some developing, so I don't want to mess anything up with the babies. Sorry about going on and on, but my excitement is growing... I am going to post a pic of Lily and Milo.

Attachments

• axies plant.jpg
    axies plant.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_6399.jpg
    IMG_6399.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_6388.jpg
    IMG_6388.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 114
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1