Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Baby axolotl help:(

maxelliotjones

Reaction score
On 16th august 2010 my axolotl hatched so he is now 6 months old. But ever since he hatched he hasnt grown much, my brothers hatched the day before and his is about 3 times the size of mine. we feed them exactly the same things (live and dried bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp) and amounts, mine is in a 30L tank with lots of hiding places ut he still wont grow, the temperature is right and i change the water daily (it also has a filter). I need help:( Im worried

smily sam

Reaction score
at that age i don't think you have to change the water daily im hoping your not doing complet water changes:happy:

maxelliotjones

Reaction score
Here are pictures and I don't do daily water changes, i do them every week to every 2 weeks and take out about 1/3 of the water:)

By the way, i took him out to be fed thats why he is in a tub:)

The 3 pictures below are from about 2 weeks ago

Attachments

• IMAG0375.jpg
    IMAG0375.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 3,118
  • IMAG0374.jpg
    IMAG0374.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 15,176
  • IMAG0372.jpg
    IMAG0372.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 4,417
Last edited:

maxelliotjones

Reaction score
This photo is from about 5 minutes ago:D

Attachments

• IMAG0392.jpg
    IMAG0392.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 727

kirstyandmark

Reaction score
well you say hes eating well?
his water conditions are right? although i dont know if that would affect growth always worth a check i guess
the only problem is that hes small? aside from that he behaives normally ect?

maxelliotjones

Reaction score
yeh, he is very active, he has a great personality, when i feed him he will see the pipette and swim up to it, so yeh everything is normal hes just small, maybe he will just generally small:)

kirstyandmark

Reaction score
aww he sounds great i wouldnt worry to much about him maybe thats just the way he is :happy:

so cute

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You might want to try offering some more nutritious types of foods too. See if you can get your hands on some blackworms. They're an awesome food for little ones. But I suspect yours has some genetic issues, like axolotl dwarfism, and probably isn't ever going to catch up. But think of all the money you'll save on food, and not having to buy a big tank!

axolotlfriend

Reaction score
if anything that makes your axolotl pretty special. i wouldn't mind having an axolotl with dwarfism maybe this can grow into a cool breeding project. :happy:

siona

Reaction score
hmm, he is a little cutie, but I can't help worrying at the genetics of the species if these were to be bred (and the axies from the linked post too). I'm no expert but you can see what we've done to dogs over the years - some of which suffer strokes and breathing problems because of our maipulation...then again if it works with teacup pigs...

Anyway, that's not the point. the point is he's lovely!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1