Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Turtle pellets as a food for axies?

Murgebas

Reaction score
The variety of available food in nearby stores where I live is quite low. Therefore, I've been feeding my two axies with pellets that originally are for the turtles.. Here is link to the product.

Reptile food: Sera Raffy Mineral Pellet Food

Is it ok or should I stop doing this? I also have beef heart, but read that is not the most suitable food for axies..

daremo

Reaction score
I also give my little one reptomin pellets, he is not liking earthworms that little brag...

if you can find earthworms its better but if you don't have other choice ...

axolotlfriend

Reaction score
i'm thinking of feeding mine this too.

do you have any problems starting them on this type of food?

Murgebas

Reaction score
They accept it pretty well - even swim to the surface to grab them, cause these pellets are floating. I just put some (12-15) into the tank and they hunt for them untill are satisfied :)

daremo

Reaction score
I find that reptomin dissolve quickly and thus they release dirt, but well...

and also my axies don't find them so easy

I prefer earthworms all the way, but my little one sometimes gets picky and would only eat pellets...

Reaction score
Aside from floating, the ingredients really aren't the best for them. Turtles tend to be much more omnivorous than axolotls, particularly as they get older. As a treat, they're probably fine, but bloodworms, blackworms, etc. would be much better long term if yours won't accept earthworms. There are also newt pellets that sink and I'd probably use them over the turtle ones if you can find them.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If the pellets contain vegetable matter, which they probably do, they are unsuitable for caudates. There are pellet brands that are ok for caudates (fully carnivorous pellets) although it´s definitely always better to vary the diet with live foods and other choices.

daremo

Reaction score
I usually feed mine earthworms, but my juvie sometimes gets picky and spits back the earthworm so I give him a couple of reptomin sticks, then try again the earthworms the other day... it usually works, I don't want him to go without food...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1