Question: Metamorphosis

Ziv

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Fish
Hi everybody,
I have tadpoles now, which now are about 5 cm long, and an aquatic terarium... I've read that in that size, they are starting to get out of the water and I wanted to know if anyone can tell me a few signs that will tell me when do I need starting change their terarium to a terrestral one.
Thanks alot!

When their gills start disappearing, that is usually a good sign. Are they frog or newt/salamander larvae?
Do you know what species?

Well, I think these are Salamander cause I don't know any other species with gills which you can see... which kind? I think we'll just need to wait and see, a friend of mine gave them to me since he tried to feed them with carrots and other vegtables(...) and they even didn't noticed it...

That is because they are strict carnivores. Are the larvae collected from the wild? Many countries have strict laws protecting their native caudates, so it would be good to check.

The size at which they morph varies greatly between species, so without knowing that, there is no way of knowing. Try to upload a picture, we may be able to identify them for you.

At 5 centimeters long, you can feed them small earthworms, blackworms, bloodworms, brine shrimp, etc. Get a picture in and somebody may be able to identify them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back