Axolotl owners in Toronto Canada?

virginia

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
La Vie
Im somewhat new to axolotls but just want some insight on what you do when summer time comes around because I currently have my tank set up in my living room and it gets hot as hell (literally:evil:) with the sunrays during the summer time. (Currently okay with it being winter time) Any tips??

Also the only two big shops I go to around here is PetsMart and BigAls. I'm trying to look for some live worms to feed to my axolotls but haven't had much luck. Was wondering what you fellow axie owners feed your pets (Brand?) and/or if you know any places in Toronto that sell live worms? I heard of the trout/salmon pellets but didn't have any luck when I went to BigAls and they discontinued it.

Thank you, it would help out so much! :D

-V

Hi Virginia,
I am not in Toronto, but in Alberta and have had axolotls for years. I order my axolotl(salmon) pellets from the Ambystoma Genetic Stock Center at the university of kentucky. it is $5 for a pretty big bag and they have different sizes. and you can fit alot of them into their box with $20 shipping. Most pet store have bottles of salamander and newt pellets from HBH but they are pretty small for adult axies. As for worms, i get my bait worms from Canadian Tire or some of the sporting goods stores, but debating weather to start my own worm farm in the newt/axolotl room.
If it gets hot in your upstairs then you have various options. I use a portable air conditioner that has a hose that hooks up to a window, but you can try fans, a chiller, curtains, frozen water bottle in tank, or moving the tank. I keep mine in the basement and rarely have to chill the water, and it gets pretty hot here too. The axoltols really don't like warm water and become unhealthy and even die.

Good luck with the chillin'
They are awesome creatures aren't they?

Thanks Mizzerman!

I think I will order online from the website that you gave me. It seems like a better way to get suitable food thats made for axolotls instead of supplementing with fish pellets and reading the back of every packet to make sure its a good pick. Thank you!

My axies are still quite young I think. They're about 12 cm right now and I bought them on boxing day. I have no idea how old they are but they were about 9 - 10 cm when I bought them. Noticeably a lot larger now. I've decided to put them in my coldroom in my basement, however I think I will do a test run first to make sure the temperature doesn't fluctuate too much.

Thank you for your help! They're amazing little buggers.

Find a store that sells earthworms for fishing.They will tell you where there wholesaler is/or order you some. I buy 500/$40.00. I also keep mine in the basement 13c-16c year round. Gavin

No prob V,
If you order from Genetic stock centre ask them if they will ship regular mail. Last time i ordered from them they shipped UPS and i got dinged a brokerage fee at the border. Next time i order i will ask them to ship regular USPS. Might be some place to order the pellets in Canada but haven't found a good one yet that takes paypal.

My latest axies were 3inches when i got them before Christmas and just measured one yesterday and she has hit 6inches already. They grow up too darn fast.

C

Faunaclassifieds will give the list of crooks and good guys.

Just checked Fauna classifieds...Do not trust this guy! Money and animals @ the same time. Do not send money before hand.

Were the last two replies supposed to be posted in my thread about the guy in Toronto selling gfp axies and andersoni????

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back