Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Temperature?

grecaaale

Reaction score
I currenly have a 20 gallon tank and for some reason my dorm room is much hotter than it should be, soo the tank is sitting at 70 degrees i know this is not optimal temp for them and i do try to put ice bottle in with them but that is very difficult for me to do and it only brings the temp down to 68-69 when i do it, and that only lasts for a lil bit, even though this temp is fairly high, should the axolotls be ok at this temp for an extended period of time?

JessKB

Reaction score
High Grecaaale. The water in my house sits at about 70 too, so I got a clip on fan and it brings it down to about 65 and even lower at night. It was like four bucks at walmart. Hope that helps!

carsona246

Reaction score
get one off amazon for like 15 bucks. I managed to get a prime account for free using my college email, so you'll get free shipping. In texas where it's really dry a fan has lowered my temp like 10 degrees, up here in arkansas where it's really humid it lowers it about 3-4 degrees, maybe 5 not exactly sure how hot it is in my apartment, but my tank is never in the dangerzone and my apartment is nice and warm

carsona246

Reaction score
yea if walmart has them in stock, it's probably cheaper there, problem for me was that fan's are usually seasonal, so I had to order online

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about 70f. It's not terribly warm. My tanks routinely get around 70 in the summer. Once it starts going over 74-75 for long periods of time, then you should start worrying.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1