Baby Axoltol

teres

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Teres
Hi to all
This is my first post I am after abit of info. The axoltols at my sons school have breed and the children are allowed to have one. I have set up a tank and have put aqua-safe in the water. The tank has sand in the bottom and some plant i also have some rocks in there. I am wondering how old the axoltols need to be before one can go in a tank on its own the ones at the school are about 11/2 cms long. Also I have been told in water marque to place some rock out of the water as the axoltol with climb up out of the water onto the rock is this correct any information from Axoltol keepers would be welcome. Look forward to hearing back from you
Teres :happy:

Have a look at this link, it'll tell you most of what you will need to know :-
Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander

You will not need a rock for your axolotl to crawl out on, as unless they are kept in pretty poor conditions they will not change.
At such a small size , you would be best to keep it in a smaller container, feed it live brine shrimp and daphnia. You'll need to change its water daily. This link will help here :-
Axolotls - Rearing from Egg to Adult

Hope this helps.

Hi, you'll want a minimum of a 10 gallon tank for one axolotl (when it is an adult). Even then I find that too small, and suggest if you can go bigger, definitely do so. I haven't heard of axolotls staying out from the water. They are not riparian, but aquatic animals. Rocks would be great in the bottom for them to climb on (make sure they are quite big, axolotls will fit anything they can in their mouths!) and some hides are definitely needed too.

If you could cycle your tank before getting one that would be ideal. Axies prefer still waters and like it cold. Have you check out this page? It has tons of great information to help get you started.

Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander

Julia beat me to it :p

Thank you for the links i have spent alot of time looking through site and reading up on the axoltol as i really want to keep the little fella we get to the best of my ability so i thought i'd also post to get some advise from all the axoltol breeders and keepers on here. Thanks again

I have a tank that is 2ftx 1ft x 1ft 3. I have had it set up now for a week with the filter running i put some aqua safe in the tap water when i filled it do i need to do anything else. Thank you

Also can anyone tell me how big a baby axoltol should be before it is split from the others of the batch and put in a tank on its own as these baby axoltols are at my sons schoo at the moment and i am wondering how long before i can bring one home they are about 1 1/2 cm at the moment

they don't need to be together at all, in fact I would suggest you seperate them now. Axolotl larvae are known to eat each other if they can

Ok thank you i will speak to the school on monday and ask them if we could have the baby axoltol as soon as possible.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back