Eastern Newt - tankmates?

spitz006

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have read all about how it's bad to keep newts with fish, but I know there are exceptions and I'm wondering if my idea might work.

I want to set up a small 10 to 20 gallon aquarium and get a sponge filter with the good biological bacteria already in place from my local pet store. Then I'm going to buy some bait-shop minnows and put them in the tank with the sponge filter. When I'm confident that they are healthy and have been eating premium flake foods, I will introduce an eastern newt or two. Does anyone have any reccomendations on what minnows would be the most peaceful? I might order some blackstripe topminnows from Zimmerman's Fish - North American Native Fish or I might just go with guppies. I don't want to get anything with spines in case the newt eats them, but I'd like to stick with North american fish if I can.

ooh I'd stay away from bait shop minnows. Only because they are often disease filled, and sometimes grow up to become something much larger than a minnow. Make sure you know exactly what species you're getting, if you do decide to go with that. Other than that, I have no experience or advice, but I have been wanting to set up a North American fish tank someday, this zimmerman's site is pretty cool!

I recently came across rosy red minnows. So far, the N. Viridescens and the fish seem fine. The minnows are too big for the newts to munch on.

I keep a mystery snail, and 2 zebra nirate snails, with my eastern newts, who have all gotten along for about a year now...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back