Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Algae and daphnia Culture

axolotlfriend

Reaction score
So I’ve started an algae culture. I know that fertilizer is beneficial to algae I was just wondering what type of fertilizer you guys use. What I have gone ahead and done is bought those miracle grow sticks and shaved some into a powder and poured it into the container holding the algae. Also, around how long do you think it should take the algae to fully colonize a 1 liter bottle? And has anyone tried rice or whey protein to feed daphnia? I have those currently on hand that why I’m asking.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had an algae culture and put a tiny bit of dissolved Miracle Grow in it (the blue crystal-like stuff). The algae promptly died completely. The stuff you added might be fine, I have no idea.

axolotlfriend

Reaction score
I had an algae culture and put a tiny bit of dissolved Miracle Grow in it (the blue crystal-like stuff). The algae promptly died completely. The stuff you added might be fine, I have no idea.
that sounds like the exact stuff i put in it. i hope it doesn't die...:(

what type of fertilizer works then?

smily sam

Reaction score
i find catfish pellet food helps and feeds algae it has alae in it here are the ingredients: Derivatives of vegetable Origin, fish and fish Derivatives, cereals, oils and fat, molluscs and crustaceans, algae, minerals. with antioxidants EC additives. *Ergosan 20g/kg its made by King British it surtenly boosts the algae growth in my qumunity tank so much that i couldn't see in without having cleaning it:happy:
hope it helps sam:eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!