Axolotl / Tiger Salamander Hybrid?

joeyasaurusrex

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just curious if it is possible to get a hybrid between a tiger salamander and an axolotl? let me know guys, thanks! (mostly I'm just curious, I'm not gonna try it or anything:happy:)

Indeed it is. In fact all golden albinos are hybrids of these two species, as are their siblings. Quite sadly, today it is very possible that if you have an axolotl, it is not a true axolotl, but an hybrid (granted the degree of genetic introgression may vary).

Okay, so does it matter whether you have a male axolotl and female salamander, or does it have to be a female axolotl and male salamander?

This would only be plausible with a neotenic tiger salamander. Metamorphosed tiger salamanders will not breed with axolotls.

Indeed it is. In fact all golden albinos are hybrids of these two species, as are their siblings. Quite sadly, today it is very possible that if you have an axolotl, it is not a true axolotl, but an hybrid (granted the degree of genetic introgression may vary).

this is very very interesting. so why are all the golds hybrids? what does the tiger salamander bring to the genetics to make this morph?

That theory stems from the hybridization of an albino tiger salamander to an axolotl. I don't know if it's legitimate or not, but it's the going rumor.

Well according to this site, Axolotls - Genetics - Color Phases Mutants and Phenotypes - Axolotl, all albino types are hybrids, not just golden albino:
"Frankensteinolotl

The albino axolotl was first developed in 1964, by back-crossing the F2 children of a hybrid Ambystoma tigrinum (female albino tiger salamander) and an Ambystoma mexicanum (male white axolotl). If you have an albino axolotl, you can trace its ancestry back to this amazing experiment."

It is my understanding that the word "albino" in that context applies only to what is informally called "golden albino".

It is my understanding that the word "albino" in that context applies only to what is informally called "golden albino".

Didn't get a chance to reply the other day. I could be wrong but I would think if the person meant golden albino they would've stated as much seeing as how they've stated the differences in other types throughout the article as a whole. But that's just my understanding then.

"Colorless Axolotl

If the animal is homozygous for the albino gene then the D/D and D/d animal will be golden albinos and the d/d animal will be a white albino. A d/d ax/ax m+ animal would be an absolutely colorless albino"

And from the other statement, I assume when it was written as "white axolotl" they meant leucistic. But again, I could be wrong but that's how I'm reading it still.

I would look at all the sources for information, not just one line you read on one website.

There are reports that an albino axolotl was imported to France in the 1800's, before the tiger hybrid experiments happened.

Everyone in this thread seems a little confused, partly because the literature itself is confusing!

The albino gene was introduced into axolotls by hybridisation from an albino tiger salamander discovered in Minnesota in the 1960's (Humphrey's paper is dated 1967). I understand the hybridisation was by nuclear transfer, not merely sticking two animals together in a bowl so the process was not an easy one.

All variants of albino include this gene, white albinos may include either melanoid or leucistic or axanthic phenotypes. (I'm unsure where coppers fit in this)

The leucistic was present in one of the early introductions to Europe or emerged in one of the first breedings in 1866 and its decendents are often described as albino in the older literature.

1911 Encyclopædia Britannica/Axolotl - Wikisource, the free online library

Last edited:
So.. If I put sperm caps of male axolotl in to female tiger salamander ( or the other way around) would it work?:wacko:

If it was gravid, then yes, but please, DON'T try it. There may come a time when axolotls are completely extinct from the wild, and the ones in captivity don't need hybridization as an issue too

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back