Starting to cycle my first axolotl tank

TorontoDrew

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm starting to prepare to get my first axolotls! I've been obsessively reading everything on this forum so hopefully I can avoid most rookie mistakes. Other than some betta fish I kept as a kid, these will be my first ever aquarium pets, so I'm really keen on getting everything set up ideally for them.

To start with, I have a 20 gallon tank the "floorspace" is 30 inches x 12 inches, the hight is 12 inches, filled with dechlorinated tap-water (I used Big Al's multi-purpose aquarium conditioner, it removes chlorine, chloramine & contains aloe which I've heard is good for animals with slime coats). The substrate is black sand (Este's ultra reef marine sand) with three hides made from pieces of slate. There's also a plastic plant hoop & a marimo ball about 2 inches in diameter. The back of the tank just has a black towel draped behind it right now, I'll get a proper backdrop soon.

The filter is a Tetra Whisper EX30. It seems a bit over powered, I may rearrange the position of the plastic plant to break up the flow. But I'll wait until I get my axies to see if that's necessary or if I'm just being paranoid.

The temperature is holding at between 18c during the day and 16c at night. Which, if I'm not mistaken is right in the goldilocks zone (not too hot not too cool). If the temperature does creep up, I'll clip a small fan to blow on the water and/or get an airstone. I've read they like to fool around with the bubbles so that would be win-win :D

I put three white cloud mountain minnows in to start the cycle last night. I chose them because from what I've read, they like the cool water & are harmless/edible for my future axies.

I've also bought a API freshwater master test kit. I tested for the first time today. The ammonia is between .50 -1.0 ppm which I expect as it's a new tank & just starting a cycle, no nitrites or nitrates yet. The pH is between 7.8-8.0. I've read they like slightly hard water, but is the pH a bit too high? If so, how can I lower it a bit? I've tried to read as much as I can about tank cycling but again, this is my first aquarium so I'm eager for any advice.

Hopefully by the time my tank is fully cycled in a few weeks, I'll be able to track down some baby axolotls, ideally 2; a leucistic & either a wild or golden. (Speaking of which, if you're in southern Ontario & breeding, pretty please contact me :p)

I also have a 55 gallon tank (3 ft long) that I will set up in my basement when they're older, & a hex tank that I will possibly be using to breed cherry shrimp or mountain minnows as 'treats'. Earthworms of course would be the staple diet.

Sorry for the huge post, I just want to confirm I'm on the right track. If you have any advice or if I'm doing something horribly, horribly wrong please let me know. :eek:

Attachments

• tank1.jpg
    tank1.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 7,373
  • tank2.jpg
    tank2.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 8,414
sounds like your on the right track. I wouldn't worry about your ph, stability is far better than ideal ph. 7.8 will be fine. Just make sure to watch the nipping when you first add your axolotls, while cloud minnows are usually fine to mix with axolotl's, yours will most likely be small.

Thanks, that's a good point. Depending on the size of the little guys when I get them, I may remove the fish when adding them to the tank. I've read that cloud mountain minnows aren't quite as bad for nipping as goldfish but better safe than sorry. :happy:

I relieved the pH is ok, I'll keep checking the levels over the next while to make sure the nitrogen cycle is going as it should be and that the pH stays the same.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back