Question: Are my larvae safe in my guppy breeding tank?

leilu

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi thanks for reading.

So i have 20 eggs in a breeding box in my guppy tank to keep them together. They are due to hatch in 5 days and coming on lovely. I have my 2yr old axies in their own tank but that is getting upgraded in two days to a 350lt tank, then i have my guppies in their own tank except 5 who stay with the axies and have been with them for 4 months, (these guppies have been through elite physical and psychological training to evade the predators and should not be attempted with lesser trained guppies :cool:).

when my babies hatch they will need more space than the small breeding box. Im worried if i release them in my guppy tank, then the guppies will have a nibble? I oviously wont be putting them in with my o.a.p i guess they wouldnt last a night. i will have a spare tank they could go in but i dont want another tank around the house. The safety of my new babies comes first, though i would like them in my guppy tank. I could put more guppies through my elite training program and thin out my guppy tank.

I Have rambled a bit but any advice would be appretiated.

Thanks

Yes, the guppies will eat them - they eat their own babies which are even larger than axie larva.

When raising babies, it's much easier to do it in smaller containers w/o substrate so that you can do frequent water changes and monitor them more closely. You are going to have to separate the babies as well by size, so you will need multiple containers/tanks set up and even more when they get into the cannabalistic stage to prevent them from nibbling one another. Tupperware containers are great to use and cheaper than buying multiple fish tanks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back