Illness/Sickness: Newt's leg ripped out at shoulder, bone exposed

Dairina321

Reaction score
Country
United States
My Chinese Fire Belly Newt has had this injury for over 3 weeks now and I'm afraid it's not going to fix itself. It has had a strange progression - I first noticed a problem with my newt's leg the day after feeding some time ago. I believe he either got it caught under a rock (I'm switching to sand because of this) or his tankmate nipped him, but he had a white sore and some angry flesh where the leg was snapped. The bone was not overly exposed, though I could see it where the skin was open. Now, it looks as though the area where the leg popped out from has healed almost entirely, but the leg itself is almost glued to his side, while out of the base, a long white bone is exposed, parallel to his body. It isn't long by people standards, but by newt standards, it could get caught on anything. He has been rubbing it around on plants and it clearly bothers him, but he eats, swims, and chills like normal and has been since the injury. When I took him out today to examine it, I noticed that there were times when he could actually flex his fingers.

I've been so worried about him and whether or not I should take some kind of action. There is no infection that I can tell, which I'm so happy about. I'm afraid that amputation could introduce bacteria, which might be a bigger problem than the one he has now.

What should I do? There does not seem to be any evidence of a new leg growing in place of the old one. The old one used to have swelling and dead skin coming from the fingers, but it looks as though the swelling has gone down completely. Is it possible that the nerves, etc. grew back oddly but are there nonetheless? It's so hard, because the break is straight from the joint, not in a typical amputation fashion, and to actually remove the leg would be incredibly difficult, especially with such a healthy, squirmy newt.

*edit* He does not use his leg and keeps it (whether intentional or not) firmly against his side while swimming, eating, or really doing anything. Also, I have not separated the newts (only two) because of my own situation. I simply cannot have two tanks, as I live in a college dorm.*edit*

Thanks in advance,
Kelly

Last edited:
I'm sorry you didn't get some sort of reply. These kinds of injuries are really hard to advise on; you either have to wait and see what happens or get help from a vet. Are you still around to read this? How is it doing?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back