PDA

View Full Version : Is my axie ill???

Raziela
8th February 2011, 01:23
Recently my (almost) 6month old axie has been sarting to fall over when trying to walk, and can barely swim anymore

All the conditions in his tank are to spec, and gets cleaned every other day with a part water change every 5-7 days, and this is a fairly new problem (past 2 days)

Also, has lost all the pink colouring in his gils, but other than that there are no obvious signs of what could be wrong. I'm really worried

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated

palatimo
8th February 2011, 01:36
any pics?:(:confused:

Raziela
8th February 2011, 01:39
I'll try to upload one now

not able to upload a pic, laptop is spazzy. but my axie is leucistic and his gils are almost the same colour as his body instead of their usual pink

animalloversfb
8th February 2011, 02:31
What are you feeding and how often? What is your set-up like(size, substrate, any decorations that might have sharp edges, type of filter/flow), etc? The color of his gills is probably lighter due to being inactive and not able to move...

Raziela
8th February 2011, 02:41
fed bloodworms daily, switching to earthworms soon (can't use garden ones - parents and their goddamn pesticides, no fishing shops close but i've had no problems with feeding)
set up is a glass tank (plenty of space), big pebbles over sand, a few fake plants and a cave he can hide in (smoothed off, rounded sides)
filter is on low setting otherwise it causes too much water flow (learned that within the first few hours)

Raziela
9th February 2011, 01:27
just noticed that the temp in the tank is at 21C, could this be a bit too warm? if so how do I get the temp down?I have no heating on in this room at all, and the tank is on the outer wall (not quite under the window) in the coldest part of the room...

animalloversfb
9th February 2011, 01:32
How large are the "big pebbles" - if they're not larger than your axies head, its possible she ingested some. It could also be bloat and there are several posts on here you can search for to see if you can remedy the situation.

Your tank is a little bit on the warm side - you can add a frozen water bottle to the tank. If you have a fan, you can use that to blow across the surface of the water. Just monitor that it doesn't change the temperature too rapidly.

Raziela
9th February 2011, 01:38
All are around the size of axie's head maybe a few smaller so may have swallowed one so fridging will be tried in the morning.

I'll be switching to a full sand base soon, just looking for the right type of sand.

And in regards to a bottle of frozen water, is it like a 500ml coke bottle or something a little bigger?

also, my axie is only just under 3 inches at almost 6months old, is that normal?

AuraCantos
9th February 2011, 02:21
You'll have more luck using a fan blowing across the top of the water, than using the frozen bottles. Frozen bottles tend to take alot of work to keep the temp stable, and can make your water fluctuate pretty rapidly, which isn't good for your lotl. Any kind of fan will work really; a computer fan, a desktop fan, a specific clip-on aquarium fan... You can find any of those on ebay/amazon/craigslist, ect, for relatively cheap.

Of course, if you're in a pinch, the frozen bottle trick will work until you find something more permanent. ;) (Like a fan, or a cooler room, ect). Like animalloverfb said, just make sure you monitor the temp so it doesn't go down TOO rapidly. Perhaps try to move your tank to a basement, if you have one? They tend to be alot cooler. Also keep the tank away from radiators, vents, windows, ect.

As far as your lotls gills go, my leu. lotl Rai gets very pale gills when she's not moving around much. The more active the axolotl, the more blood gets pumped around the body, thus flushing the gills with color. :) Pics would be nice, though, just to be on the safe side.

Sorry for the rant. :p

Raziela
9th February 2011, 02:59
Heh np, rants are useful when I'm stressing about my pets (I also have a rescue corn snake that is ill atm :( )

I think I can get a fan easy enough tomorrow, along with sand fot the bottom of the tank, axie should be ok till then, right?

My bedroom is the coldest room in the house because my idiot family like the heating on all the time, regardless of the time of year :(

Will get pics up tomorrow, finally figured it was my blackberry being spazzy not my laptop. lol

Raziela
9th February 2011, 10:34
2 pics from last night

bellabelloo
9th February 2011, 11:03
That is a tiny little axolotl :D
As you know now the gravel needs to go as soon as possible. Apart from the risk of accidentally being eaten, it is an absolute nightmare to keep clean.
I would be tempted to take your little axolotl out of this tank while you sort it out. In the mean time, keep in a smaller covered container of clean dechlorinated water . You'll need to do regular daily water changes while this is going on. You could put this in the fridge ( check the temperature is above 5 degrees) or if you have a safe spot in a shed even out side. just make sure the container can not be got at by cats/ dogs . While in the container you can feed preferably small eartworm, daphnia, bloodworm etc. As your axolotl is so little still you could try food once a day.
Here are a couple of links that may help :-
This one is a guide to fridging...you could use your fridge or out side
Axolotl Sanctuary (http://www.caudata.org/axolotl-sanctuary/Fridging.shtml)

This one takes you through cycling your tank, as once the gravel is removed it may need to cycle again. You'll need to get a water testing kit for this .
Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling (http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml)

If you have any questions, ask away :D

Raziela
9th February 2011, 11:27
Axie is now in the fridge in dechlorinated water

And I'm sure he/she is a bit on the small size for 6months old, and is eating a bloodworm every day, has been since coming to me, hasn't really grown much since i got him/her in november tbh, possibly 1.5cm max.

Raziela
11th February 2011, 01:21
ok, so when I left for work yesterday morning, axie was in the fridge looking a bit worse for wear tbh

Got home and found axie back in his (slightly) cooler tank (complete with sand) looking a bit happier, then, around 10 mins ago I noticed the ends of all fingers and toes were dark and tummy area slightly swolen. Surely my 6 month old, 3" long axie is not maturing yet??? still kinda transparent tbh, can still see all internal organs quite clearly... got a few pics, but cant get a decent one of fingers/toes as they're not showing up properly on sand...

Raziela
15th February 2011, 00:35
So today we did a 50mile round trip to the vets, who said axie had definitely swallowed a stone before I'd changed to sand, and that if this wasn't either thrown up or passed the other way by friday he/she would need to go back for an op to remove it next week. I really hope it doesn't come to that, I don't think it could take being under anaesthetic :(

Also, this vet, who has worked with exotics for years has never heard of fridging an axie, but recommended i try it after trying to get the axie to eat cucumber to help it regurgitate the stone... (she also said axie was a bit underweight and a little small for its age, but nothing that can't be sorted after the stone is gone)

But now axie is really looking worse for wear, I'm not sure if its the stress of being taken on a 50mile trip, or the fact that there is *still* a stone inside him/her but I'm really worried. He/she is just lay there, arms clenched to side, gills kinda forward, barely moving even when i try to move him/her :'(

lea
15th February 2011, 00:58
I hope everything turns out for you and axie. Please keep us informed on how he/she is going. Hang in there you are doing everything you can.
lea

animalloversfb
15th February 2011, 01:59
Make sure you keep him covered while in the fridge and do daily water changes with same temp. water. Hopefully your axie will be able to pass it. Did the vet take an x-ray to determine the size of the stone? That would make a difference in the likelihood of it being able to pass.

Raziela
15th February 2011, 13:43
No, no x-rays were taken, not really needed as you can see the stone, its about half a centimetre, possibly a bit bigger.

My fridge is too cold for fridging him/her, I understand it needs to be between 5 - 8 degrees, but my fridge is at around 2 and won't warm up at all. So I'm stuck for what to do.

And to make things worse, he/she has now stopped eating. But if I remember correctly from the day I bought him/her home, after a long day of travelling it took about 3 days to start eating properly anyways, could this be the case again?

Raziela
16th February 2011, 17:49
Axie passed away this afternoon

freya
16th February 2011, 18:49
im sorry for your loss...

iAxolotl
16th February 2011, 19:09
Poor thing :( Too bad he died.

lea
16th February 2011, 23:12
Im so sorry. You did everything you could.

Raziela
17th February 2011, 01:01
I've only just got home after being told, damn work.

Axie looks so peaceful and I can't stop crying. This is all my fault for not changing to sand quickly enough :'(

Erzs
17th February 2011, 01:15
I'm sorry for your loss you did what you could =[

I only just noticed you live close when I saw your post on RFUK. Unless it's a different Raziela. At least your next axolotls will be going onto sand. =]

Raziela
17th February 2011, 01:29
I feel so guilty, should been on sand from the beginning

And yeah I'm the same Raziela on RFUK ...

Raziela
17th February 2011, 16:34
Oh, the irony. In death axie managed what he/she couldn't do in life an pooped out the stone :(

AxolotlboyxD
17th February 2011, 22:47
Axie passed away this afternoon
Omg sorry Raz really, he was so adorable and it hurts even losing a little axie omg i pray for him :(

memojo1979
18th February 2011, 00:35
Only just seen this thread.
Deepest sympathies from another Stokie :(

Raziela
18th February 2011, 01:47
Thanks guys

The only real response I've had elsewhere is "why so upset about a fish", I even had my mother try and flush him/her like a common goldfish.

Glad to see I wasn't the only Stokie with an axolotl though :)

Does anyone think its too soon to start looking for another one? I feel if I don't get one soon I'll never get one again, kinda like the riding a bike thing, get back on if you fall off or you never will, if you get me? I'm not sure I'm making any sense right now tbh, I've not slept since sunday night due to worry and now grief...

AuraCantos
18th February 2011, 03:19
Does anyone think its too soon to start looking for another one? I feel if I don't get one soon I'll never get one again, kinda like the riding a bike thing, get back on if you fall off or you never will, if you get me? I'm not sure I'm making any sense right now tbh, I've not slept since sunday night due to worry and now grief...

I don't think that's something anyone can answer, except yourself. :o If you feel in your heart that it's time for another axolotl, by all means, find a new little one to cherish. Love is an infinite thing. <3

You did what you could for your lotl. When you realized that it was sick, you took it to an approriate vet, took the steps necessary to help it recover, and loved it until it passed. Sometimes, deaths help us pave new roads, and become better at certain things.

I am very, truly, wholeheartedly sorry for your loss, Raziela. :(

freya
18th February 2011, 11:32
I agree on the post above this one.
Just do what your heart tells you to do and it will be fine.
Who are we to judge??? everyone does this on his own way and time and all we can do is tell what we should do and not what any other person should do ^^
Just one tip: read this forum if you have any other unanswered questions or post them ^^
You'll be great to your axy if you decide to get a new one that is for sure^^
Just take your time.

mewsie
18th February 2011, 11:53
Oh Raziela, I'm really sorry.

I agree that only you know what is right for you. You've had a terrible experience and still have a bundle of love to give, if you got a new axie I just know it would be adored.

Do what feels right, and remember that if you decide to fill that empty tank, we're all here ready to celebrate with you :)

Raziela
18th February 2011, 12:22
I'm just terrified of this happening again. I hate seeing any animal in pain at the best of times, and when it's one of my own its worse :(

I am looking at another one, I don't think I could get another leucistic or even albino for a while, it'd be too painful to see another looking even vaguely similiar tbh.
I was watching the video I made of axie's first attempt at swimming a few hours ago, so cute, but really upsetting

Oh. The vet called this morning, recons it may not have been the gravel that killed him/her, it may have been an underlying kidney/liver problem which is apparently common in axolotls, but I've never heard about that before, have any of you?

bellabelloo
18th February 2011, 12:42
I am sorry to read the news.
The stone will not have helped. Unfortunately poor water conditions will have also contributed. Axolotl can succumb to bacterial infections which can cause some organ failures.
I am not sure why your vet suggested your little axolotl would eat cucumber, they rarely consume any type of vegetable matter.
As others have suggested, have a good read of the posts here in the axolotl section here, and have a look at this link too :-
Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander (http://www.axolotl.org/)

When you think you are ready for a new addition, get your tank set up correctly first....and show us the pictures. :D

Raziela
18th February 2011, 12:52
Thats just it, the water conditions were practically perfect, Ammonia = 0, Nitrite = 0, Nitrate = 10, pH = 7.5

I thought the cucumber thing was a bit weird too, so I took it out after a few hours and put a bit of chopped up earthworm in, but he/she just wasn't interested.

Already working on a new setup for the tank so when I do get another of these beautiful animals, it'll be perfect. And of course, you guys will be the first to see the set up (without then with a new addition :) )

And again, thank you all for being so kind and understanding, it's just a shame no-one I know in real life is like that :(

freya
18th February 2011, 13:24
i know that feeling very well... ive got only 1 friend thats the same like me if it concerns our kiddies(pets).
the rest is more like coldhearted to me when im sad about 1 of my pets...
thats why i love animals more than people most of the time!

AuraCantos
18th February 2011, 14:22
I'm just terrified of this happening again. I hate seeing any animal in pain at the best of times, and when it's one of my own its worse :(

I know what you mean. I work at a vet technician, whos office is closed on certain days. On Monday, I went in to feed all the patients, and treat a -very- emaciated boxer who had pancreatitis and hepatitis B. Wouldn't eat, wouldn't drink. I had JUST finished giving him fluids, had his head in my lap, and he just sighed and passed away. The heartwrenching part was hearing his body trying to restart itself, trying to breathe again. Even though it wasn't my dog, and I had only known the dog for a few days, I cried like a baby for at least half an hour. =|

It's hard seeing them in pain, or in discomfort. But you've learned from this experience, and it can only make you stronger. You've made mistakes, but you're in good hands with the people of this forum- Bellaboo, Mewsie, Erzs, Jennewt, ect, they're all a wealth of knowledge. The best part is- you're willing to try again. :)

I can't wait to see the pictures. :)

Raziela
18th February 2011, 14:34
I wanted to work in a vets until I was around 14 and realised I'd have to be there when some animals pass away. I couldn't maintain a professional manner while grieving family were there. But I can quite easily work in a hospice, where people are dying and their relatives are grieving. I guess I don't feel much affection for people in comparison.

And I'm seriously so grateful to everyone thats helped me/been there over the past few days via this forum, and even moreso that I managed to find this forum amongst the mass of ill informed websites I went through before getting Axie. At least I know I only made 1 real mistake (the most brutal learning curve I've ever had tbh) which will never be repeated.