Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Limb Regrowth

Gemma613

Reaction score
Hi, my FBN recently suffered from what I assume was a fungal infection or limb rot, after quarantining, salt baths and cleaning with hydrogen peroxide, the infection has now cleared up and the little fella is left with half an arm. There is what appears to be bone sticking out but apart from that the area is clean.
I was wondering should I keep him quarantined until the limb has regrown and how long does this usually take?
Oh, also, when I'm reintroducing him back into the main tank how should I go about this? Will the others get terratorial and attack him? Or will they be passive and leave him be?
Any help much appreciated!
Many thanks,
Gem

slowfoot

Reaction score
My newt's arm took quite a long time to regenerate. If you can house your newt separately for an extended period of time, I think I would keep him that way just to make sure it heals well without complications.

I actually kept mine in the same tank with my other newts when he was recovering and it was fine.

Gemma613

Reaction score
Just changed George's water and noticed he seems to have the same infection starting on his other arm :(
Looks like it's back to the salt baths, poor guy's gonna hate me, I think he must be quite stressed too because he isn't eating :(
Helppppp!!

Jake

Reaction score
Hydrogen peroxide might not be the best choice for treating the wound as it is corrosive. The best thing to do is keep the newt in a cool clean tank and try to minimize the stress level. Keeping it in the dark with little disturbances should help. Adding a little salt (about 1-2 tablespoon per gallon) to the water may be more helpful than doing stronger salt baths because the salt baths can be extremely stressful.

Can you post pictures of the wound?

RobM

Reaction score
Gemma, you put him in a separate containing and give him a bath with Methylene Blue. Apparently it is very good for fungal infections.
Also are you sure you are keeping him at the right temperature and right water quality? if these things are not correct they can encourage fungal infections.

Gemma613

Reaction score
Thanks guys, it's difficult to get one at the minute as it's only so small an area, however I can post one of his other arm once that had started to progress. Ddoes anyone know where I can get methylene blue from? Is this something I can buy over the net? My local pet shop is pretty hopeless when it comes to amphibs.
Rob, I keep them at room temperature and change around a third of the water every few days, I was originally using bottled spring water and am now using tap water that has been left to stand for a few days. I'm very new to this so if I'm doing anything wrong please do tell me :(
Gemma

Attachments

• 160.jpg
    160.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 196

RobM

Reaction score
Methylene Blue is available from many places online: methylene blue - Google Product Search
By room temperature, I assume you mean 21C? anything above 23C should be avoided.
It is good you are doing regular water changes :), but it would be worth doing a PH test just to make sure the water is ok. You are using gravel, and debris can get trapped in between the stones, which could make the water foul quickly (unlikely a problem if you haven't had the tank long).
How long have you had these newts? did you get them from a pet shop?

Gemma613

Reaction score
I've had them around a month now, when I got them I noticed George only had 2 fingers on one hand and didn't think anything of it. One day when I was feeding them, one of the others bit George's arm and ragged him around a little bit, since then I noticed the white patch above his finger spread until it became how it is on the picture I posted, that was when I quarantined him. It only got worse though until he lost part of his arm, which left me where I'm at now.
Yes I got them from a pet shop and don't really want to go back there now, especially not to buy products to make him better! :nono: Thinks for the link by the way!
My brother keeps marine fish so has equipment for testing the water, I'll have to get him to show me how to use it. Also he has an antibacterial liquid for marine fish, I'm not sure whether to use it, I'll have to do some research, I don't know if you've heard of it? Melafix, active ingredient is Melaleuca.
And I was planning to clean the gravel this weekend as I noticed some debris came up when I poured the clean water in last night. How about changing to sand? Do you think this would stop so much dirt getting trapped?

RobM

Reaction score
Most amphibians that come from petshops are wild caught and transported in horrible conditions, so often develop fungal infections.
Do not use Melafix, I had a search and apparently Melaleuca is a main ingredient of turpentine. :-s

Sand traps stuff too, and can cause little pockets of gas, which when released will foul up the water. Both gravel (that cannot be swallowed) and sand are fine though if you disturb and clean it often enough. :)
If you are interested in learning more, have a read of this article: Caudata Culture Articles - Aquarium Substrates

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1