HELP, my axolotl Adam is looking strange

Virsitile

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Virsitile
He has not ate for 2 days, his stomach looks a little sunk in. He had 1 worm prior to these 2 days of not eating. I'm worried. He got a little hunch in his back regend. I keep him and my female in a 20 gal tank w/filter and aquarium rocks. There is also an airstone in the tank. I plan to move them to a 50 gal when condtions clear.I stuck him in the freezer w/a worm. What can I do?

I have read a little about illnesses and came across an article regarding swallowing a rock but he grew up w/aqarium rocks. They were feed pellets however I change their diet to earthworms.

What size are the stones? Axolotls have been known to swallow things as big as their head! Swallowing stones or gravel will cause a blockage in their digestive system and they will stop eating and pooping. If it is at all a possibility that he swallowed a stone or gravel (if there's any in his tank, he probably swallowed it), placing him in the fridge at around 5 degrees C (~41 degrees F) may calm him and may cause him to pass the stones on his own. This will allow his digestive system to return to "normal" if indeed there are stones in his system. Can we get a picture of him? Have you tested the ammonia, nitrate, and pH of their aquarium? Hope your little one can make a recovery!

Oh, and you should remove the stones from the tank as soon as possible if they aren't bigger than their head. "Aquarium stones" is a little vague. Bare bottom tank or 1 inch layer of sand is best for an axolotl.

Last edited:
By aqarium rocks do you mean gravel or larger stones? If it's gravel it's almost a sure bet that he swallowed some.

Yes I mean fridge not freezer.

I use gravel, but that's what the breeder claim to use in his own tanks.

I still have some nitrite issues as far as I can tell. My female is doing fine in the tank. The tank is new, has only been running for about 3 weeks now. I had no idea about cycling the tank first. I keep their tem between 62-68°F.

I have a 50 gallon, I plan tk let run for a week with about 15 guppies in it as soon as i can pick it up,as soon as the whether here clears up (very snowy), but great for my axolotls. I plan to use fresh water sand in this tank. How long b4 it is not recoverable for my Adam? How long should I leave him in the fridge? Eve sure misses him.

They were both about 10 months old when I bought them 3 wks. ago. Unfortunately after doing research on them, I believe adam was sold to me stress, he had no cilia on his gills and they arefaced forward instead of back.

I pray my Adam makes it, should I start looking for Eve another mate at this point?

I wouldn't start shopping around for a new axie yet, you need to put focus on getting Adam better first. =]

How often is Adam usually fed and what is his diet?

If he's swallowed some gravel he's likely to be stressed out so this may be the cause of the forward pointing gills. The advice you've been given to keep him in cool water and hope he naturally passes the gravel (if it is that) is all I can think for you to do for now.

I would remove the gravel from the tank you have Eve in though to prevent it happening to her also.

You mentioned having some nitrite issues. Do you know what your current parameters are?

But anyway, like requested above, is a picture at all possible? =]

Gravel is bad for your axolotls. GET IT OUT OF YOUR TANK IMMEDIATELY! I suspect Adam has swallowed gravel and now has an impaction.

Axies are pretty hardy. If its only been two days of odd behavior and you've gotten him out of the tank with the gravel and into the fridge, he should start to pass it. Check his container several times a day and remove any stones before he has the change to re-eat them. He probably won't want to eat much while in there, but it can't hurt to offer him an earthworm. Make sure you keep some dechlorinated water in the fridge with him to do daily water changes as ammonia builds up quickly in the smaller space.

As for your regular tank, remove the gravel from there as well. This may throw off your cycle, but its important to prevent Eve from ingesting it and getting sick as well. Do a partial water change to get your nitrite down. Hopefully by the time you are able to get the larger tank, he'll be feeling better and they can enjoy their new home together.

I would love to show a pic but I don't know how to upload pics on here.

I feed them earthworms every 2 days. Will they over eat, cause Eve seems to be ready to eat everytime I put a worm in the tank for adam.

They will eat all day and night. They are little piggies.

So should I feed her till she stops eating? Anyone know where to buy large stones or fresh water sand from in Oklahoma city, would petsmart have these items because wal-mart did not.

Also if I remove the gravel from her tank nothing will be there for her sit on the fake plants stay in place by the gravel what should I do?

Like Lea has said axolotls would eat constantly if they could! When it comes to feeding them I generally judge it on their weight. As long as the middle of their tummy is the same width as the largest part of their head they should be okay. If that's not the case up the feed a little.

I'm quite cautious about advising how much and how often to feed. Axolotls are all different and some may gain weight quicker than others. I know my Alan and Arbie are right podgers whereas Jonesy struggles to gain weight and Hoshi keeps a balanced weight.

Does Eve have a hide? I wouldn't worry too much about the fake plants being able to move around. Do they just move around because of the axolotl's movement or does your filter move them? Your tank may look a little plain for a few days but it's better than a chance of gravel being munched up.

How is Adam today? =]

Edit: I gave the wrong advice on how to attach a photo and after seeing TorontoDrew's post (on another thread) this is how you actually do it: "When you make a post or reply, theres a little paperclip icon just above where you write, click it & select the pictures you want to attach."

Last edited:
Yes, you can very likely get the sand at PetSmart. Some locations carry different products, however, so make sure you choose the right type of sand. DON'T choose the Cichlid sand or any kind of sand that will alter your pH, ect. Taihitan Moon Sand is quite popular if you like black sand, it's made by CaribSea, which is sold at PetSmart. They also have other coors, like blue, white, tan, ect.

You can also go to a home improvement store and pick up some play-sand, like the kind people use in sandboxes. It's cheaper than PetSmart brand "aquarium sand", and it rinses very clean, but I've only ever seen it in the normal dull-color of beige. I could be wrong though... maybe it comes in lots of colors now. >.>

Also pool filter sand. It's much cheaper and already pretty clean. If you do play sand, rinse rinse rinse, and then, when you think you have rinsed it enough... rinse it 3 more times. I have playsand in my turtles aquarium. I prefer the way it looks over the aquarium sand.

Adam passed away in the fridge.RIP. Feb.9th.

Sorry for your loss, Virsitile. R.I.P Adam <3

Im so sorry for your loss. You did everything you could.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back