Playing with your axolotl?

grecaaale

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anybody else play with their axolotls. I play with one of mine...her names nerina. I stick my hand in the tank and cup it and she will swim right up and sit in my hand and she lets me pet her. Also is it wierd for my axolotls to recognize me? Whenever I come up to the tank they always lift up their heads usually cause they think they are getting food. But, when others walk up to the tank they don't do that.

I gently move my fingers in the top of the tank, my axie comes up and play fights with them, so freaking cute XD

And yeah, my axie seems to recognise me and my brother, and doesn't like anyone else trying to feed him/her... especially my mum, none of my pets like her LOL

Just remember when you touch them you can take off the slim coat that they have on their bodies. Without this coating they can get sick.
One of mine likes to sit on my hand as well, I make sure i wash my hands very well before i put them in the tank so there is nothing on them that could affect her in case she decided she wants to sit on me.

Last edited:
I gently move my fingers in the top of the tank, my axie comes up and play fights with them, so freaking cute XD

And yeah, my axie seems to recognise me and my brother, and doesn't like anyone else trying to feed him/her... especially my mum, none of my pets like her LOL

hehe my animals do the same with my mom. If my mom is near me and my cockatiels are out they automatically attack her. its pretty funny.:lol:

Heh my axie won't go near my mum, my snake has struck out at her and my cat constantly attacks her...

Luring them above and when he wants to go higher i poke him (Not really hard just a small push)

Yeah I play with mine a fair bit! Alan and Arbie's idea of playing is biting my knuckles whilst Hoshi investigates what could be in my hand. Jonesy mostly likes to have his nose stroked very very softly.

Other than that if I'm stood looking in their tank and talking to them they'll swim up then float back down and then swim up and float back down again. It's the only exercise the lazy swines get!

It's all food orientated though. If I didn't feed them I'm sure they'd just flick their gills at me and walk off like they do everyone else!

i waggle my fingers about and pixie come up and tries to catch them. and if i put my finger on the side of the outside of the tank pix will come right up and push his nose against the glass like shes kissing the glass.

Just remember when you touch them you can take off the slim coat that they have on their bodies. Without this coating they can get sick.
One of mine likes to sit on my hand as well, I make sure i wash my hands very well before i put them in the tank so there is nothing on them that could affect her in case she decided she wants to sit on me.

I wash my hands thoroughly before I play with mine.. normally, its during feeding. My wildtype axolotl "Night Fury" climbs into my cupped hands and eats. When I forget to feed them for a day, they get angry and nip at me in hunger. When I first got them, they refused to come near my hands so they were chopsticks fed. now they attack my hands for food :D

Hehe my Axolotl 'Lottie' is the cutest thing ever! She eats from my hand, follows my fingers around the glass and even comes to the front of the tank to see me (and only me) when im in the room.. SOO cute! I have a Melanoid male too but he's kinda boring lol.. Oh and he doesn't eat as much.. Is that wierd??

I play with my axolotl a lot, sometimes he comes up and sits on the submerged filter and his forehead and fins poke out of the water! He likes to swim against the current when I turn it on high and its so cute! If I hold my hand out he comes up and sits in my palm. He likes his dorsal fin rubed, its so cute! When I stick my fingers in the water he comes up and bites them, too. He sometimes grabs my thumb and I gently pull him around the tank, and he drops off when he gets tired.

Might have to try some of these! The only playtime ours get is when we hold worms in front of them to eat, they'll swim up to the top of thw tank to get them!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back