Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How much to Feed

hotcoals

Reaction score
Hi i have just purchased an axolotl and was wondering how much they eat in one feeding. Over the last 2 nights he has eaten 3 and 4 meal worms. Can i feed him normal worms from a bait shop? Thanks

dragongirl413

Reaction score
Mealworms aren't a good food for axolotls (can make them constipated). It's great your considering earthworms, from the sounds of it :) I think it's the same in Australia as the US that bait earthworms are usually perfectly safe for axolotls. How big is your axolotl? How big they are determines how often/how much they should be fed. Congrats on your new pet! Can you post some pics of him/her for us to see, please?

hotcoals

Reaction score
Thanks for your help.I will try him on earthworms. I guess he will just eat them whole? He is a bit over 8 1/2 inches long. I have attached a picture

Attachments

• CIMG3845.jpg
    CIMG3845.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 87

slimer

Banned
Reaction score
Depends on long the worms are ,It's best to cut them up into bite sized pieces for easier swallowing.

Jake

Reaction score
The amount of food will vary from axolotl to axolotl. Cut the worm into a pieces and you will eventually see what size it can swallow. Feed as much as it will eat and it will become a monster.

FYI- Some of those pieces of gravel in the tank are definitely "bite sized" for your axolotl. It would be much better to replace it with sand or nothing at all.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1