Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Diarrhea?

sectone

Reaction score
my axie hasnt passed a noticable solid bowel movement in almost three weeks. his diet hasnt changed, earthworms, bloodworms, and pellets. in the past he would pass every two to three days, usually at night, which i would find in the morning. now his water has turned very cloudy, VERY cloudy, and my filter is having a hard time clearing it, even with modest increased water changes. is this a normal occurance that i can expect every now and then? his appetite is as normal, he's not vomiting food, has no rocks in the tank that could have impacted him. do they pass liquid diarrhea from time to time? the water parameters are excellent despite the clouding.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Axolotl poo will break up very very easily...like when you are trying to remove it with a turkey baster and it disintegrates in a puff of nastiness :violent:.

sectone

Reaction score
i understand that, but i've not found any solid traces in three weeks, at any time of day, in any part of his tank. so nothing to collect via baster or net.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Have you vacuumed your substrate?

Cloudy water is usually caused by bacterial blooms. Do you test your water for ammonia and nitrite?

Reaction score
Can you test your water? Cloudy water can often be a sign of ammonia buid up.

daremo

Reaction score
I have not found any waster from my golden for more than a month, it just breaks up without you notice it.

at first I would worry but now I think its normal

The cloudiness I don't know why could it be about, I don't think its caused by axie's waste... not that much

dragongirl413

Reaction score
Sectone said he/she tested the water parameters and everything is good, so I'm thinking that has already been tested. I don't know if that rules out it just being a bacterial bloom though. Maybe someone on here knows what to do about a bacterial bloom, because I'm not really sure... Sorry for my lack of info. :-/

sectone

Reaction score
thank you all for your replies. over the last 24hrs the water has cleared dramatically. parameters are again excellent, and he has passed feces that was both solid and larger than usual.

Cas

Reaction score
I've have bacterial blooms before in my goldfish tank, and I've never noticed a characteristic change in water parameters I don't know if thats normal, but I've never seen an change in water quality. Usually I don't worry about it and it clears up in 4-5 days.

Glad to hear it's all sorted though :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1