Uriel

cml

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
We got our first Axolotl last monday and we love him.

He seems to be a shy one though, he prefers to stay to the bottom and likes to be in creaks etc (I know axolotls like hide outs. but he spends most of his time hiding in one way or the other). Other than the first day he hasnt swum around above the bottom, he crawls around on it instead.

He has been eating every day, about half an earthworm but it takes a while to get him to eat (he eats the earthworm-piece eventually but it can take him up to 30min, not like what Ive read about here that they snap anything that moves ^^). He doesnt seem too interested in food? Is this normal or am I being jittery?

Oh and here's a pic of the little fella :D
cml-albums-uriel-ragnar-picture14462-2011-02-08-18-48-05-uriel.jpg

Last edited:
he's probably just settling in, but it sounds like he's doing fine. Axolotl's will snap at anything in front of their face, but they don't go around searching for food like most fish do. I was pretty surprised at how long it took mine to find food when I first got him, but mine recognizes my hand means food now, and swims to it. It may be that your axolotl isn't super active, and just likes to chill.

Thank you Carson!

He has actually been more active tonight so I think you are probably right, he's just settling in =).

Last edited:
Be patient, when it settles in it´ll probably become an eating machine xD
I love the name, by the way, i just to have a gerbil named Uriel.

Most axies tend to be more active at night.

get to know your new pet and know what is normal behavior for your axie, like us, their personalities do vary.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back