Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Mrs Stimpy laying eggs

lorraine

Reaction score
Just sitting watching tele when I noticed Mrs Stimpy acting odd, went over to the tank and there was three eggs glued to the side of the tank near the filter. She goes and has a rest and then after a few minutes she will lay another so far there is five. I dont understand why she keeps attaching them to the side of the tank? and also the eggs are half black and half White? She is wild type and Mr Stimpy is white. Have removed the eggs already but they are just in a little pot, this will be the first time I have ever attempted this so any advice very welcome.I am currently looking for where I can get them the live food if I am lucky enough for them to hatch.

Reaction score
Do you have plants in your tank? Typically they will want to lay they amongst plants, but if that's not available or she doesn't feel its suitable(for whatever reason she may have), she'll pick other places like the side of the tank, decorations, etc.

Make sure you keep the container you put the eggs in well aerated - you can agitate the water daily and do partial water changes or use a very gentle air stone.

Since its their first batch, chances are most won't make it. Remove any suspicious looking ones before they decompose. There is a really good day by day embryo chart on axolotl.org under breeding you can look at to watch for development.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I disagree. You don't need to aerate an egg container. Just keep the water shallow. And don't anticipate all the eggs being infertile; they very well could all be viable. Be prepared for this.

lorraine

Reaction score
Yes there is plants in the tank and ornamentsaround the tank, she seemed to be laying the next to and behind the filter, so put a plant down the side last night and tthis seemed to do the trick. Got up athis morning and she is still laying and there is a fair few eggson plants on the filter and ornaments. how long can they go on laying eggs for?

lorraine

Reaction score
In the pictures on here of the eggs they are all one colour, can anyone tell me why mine are part black part white?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They're black and white because your axolotl is not albino. This is normal.

lorraine

Reaction score
Thankyou, I will be going out tomorrow to get a smaller tank for them , at the moment they are sectioned off so the other two cant get them, but Mrs stimpy seems to want to stay in that section of the tank.

dragongirl413

Reaction score
Personally, plastic tubs for storing food worked extremely well for me. It's a lot simpler (in my opinion) and cheaper, but if you want to go all out and get a tank, I'm sure that's fine, too. :)

lorraine

Reaction score
Thanks Kelpie, do you mean like the tuppa wear pots? I just wanted to maximise my chances of having them at least hatch and be able to rear some of them.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Any food-grade plastic bowl will work fine. I have a mighty selection of tupper-ware for salamander storage/treatment/etc. Just don't mistake them for a snack ;)

lorraine

Reaction score
Managed to get some pictures this morning

mobile%20pics%20200.jpg

mobile%20pics%20197.jpg

mobile%20pics%20196.jpg
mobile%20pics%20202.jpg

smily sam

Reaction score
have you seperated the female? if you havn't allraedy i would put here in a small tank so she dosn't reproduce straight away again and strain her body i think soina didn't seperate them and her female started to lay a second batch of eggs a few days/weeks later and she got rid of here female because it was laying eggs straight after a batch with out enough resting time (im not saying sell your female im just adviceing you seperate so she dosn't lay again to erly and make her self sick or stressed frtom over laying with out a rest)
hope i helped
sam:eek::happy:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
No, you don't need to worry about airstones or heaters.

Is that a net? I assume that picture is taken from the end of the tank and you're using the net as a divider? Don't underestimate your axolotls' sense of adventure. I'd use something more rigid/escape-proof.

lorraine

Reaction score
Hi Kaysie, it is a divider yes but it is a a plastic mesh rather than a net, I have now taken the eggs out that were on the plant and put them in one of those plastic fish bowls if and when they start to hatch I will then put them in something smaller.

lorraine

Reaction score
Think she is happier now she has the full tank back, she became really miserable, not swimming about and staying in her log. I have been watching the eggs and cant wait to see them start to change :)

lorraine

Reaction score
Got up this morning and loads of the eggs have changed and now look a little like split peas lol, some of them are going white and some staying black, does this mean I will have some leusistic and some melonoid? (spelling?) Getting excited now as I know they are fertilised and things will now start happening :eek:)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!