Illness/Sickness: Need help! Don't know what to do

Precious

Reaction score
Country
Lithuania
Hello, i have got 2 axolotls (one albino and another black) for 3 months. Albino has stopped eating before 5 days and looks very pale. Yesterday i cleaned their aquarium and nothing has changed, except i found vomit. The black axololt stopped eating 2 days ago. They just take the food (i gave bloodworms, schrimps), chew a bit and then spit out..Albino belly is getting bigger, you can see on the foto.
Do you know what is happening with them? I am very worried.. Tempreture is always 19-20 degrees. :confused:
They couldn't have swallowed anything, the aquarium bottom is filled with sand.. I am trying to do my best, but they don't look healthy. Another day i noticed that they are moving sometimes very strange : it seems that they have spasm/clonus.

Attachments

• Atvaizd1522.jpg
    Atvaizd1522.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 254
  • Atvaizd1518.jpg
    Atvaizd1518.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 242
  • Atvaizd1525.jpg
    Atvaizd1525.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
What are your water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are especially important.

any chance one of them could have swallowed one of those rocks in the tank?

any chance one of them could have swallowed one of those rocks in the tank?

No, they are too big.. Maybe it could be some infection or bacteria? The albino belly is getting bigger and every day he becomes more paler..

Hmm. They could really eat rocks as big as their heads.
I would suggest the fridge procedure.

Hmm. They could really eat rocks as big as their heads.
I would suggest the fridge procedure.

HELP!!!:(:(:(
I found blood stains on sand.. The white axolotl must be bleeding, because he is so white and his gills are white too. I saw bubbles coming out of his mouth.. What should i do? I put him in fridge.. He couldnt have eaten rocks, cuz i put there 5 rocks and there are the same 5 rocks..

what does axolotl sick look like:confused: they may be spitting out food because it to big mabye try feeding them smaller food or chop up the worms:eek:
hope your axies get better
sam

I would now suggest taking your axolotl to the vet. Without knowing what is wrong with your white axolotl I don't believe it can be treated accordingly. With it's stomach as it is, if there is no possibility of it swallowing a rock, it could be a stomach infection. =[

Have you begun to fridge your white axolotl? Is this where you noticed the blood? Or is there any possibility it could be from your wild type?

And I must repeat Kaysie's question: Could you possibly tell us the water parameters? =]

I hope everything will be alright.

I would now suggest taking your axolotl to the vet. Without knowing what is wrong with your white axolotl I don't believe it can be treated accordingly. With it's stomach as it is, if there is no possibility of it swallowing a rock, it could be a stomach infection. =[

Have you begun to fridge your white axolotl? Is this where you noticed the blood? Or is there any possibility it could be from your wild type?

And I must repeat Kaysie's question: Could you possibly tell us the water parameters? =]

I hope everything will be alright.

Well, the water parameters are fine : ammonia: 0.00ppm, nitrite: 0ppm
nitrate: 20ppm,ph is around 7 and temprature is 19 degrees. Maybe it could be stomach infection, cuz two weeks before he became very lazy and pale. Then started vomitting and refusing any kinds of food.. Now when i came home i found 3 big (about 2-4cm wide) bloodstains on sand. I think that this blood is only from albino, because his left gills are white and have red spots (maybe blood comes from that spots..). Now i put him fridge and how long should he be there? And very strange was that when i saw him, bubbles were coming out of his mouth.. I am very worried. This forum is the only place where axololt could be cured.. In my country there are only 7-10 places where you can buy this animal and vets probably doesn't know about this animal anything.. :(

if he is spiting out the food then try feeding him smaller food like magots, blood worms or try choping up the earth worms
when was the last time he ate?
sam:happy::eek:;)

if he is spiting out the food then try feeding him smaller food like magots, blood worms or try choping up the earth worms
when was the last time he ate?
sam:happy::eek:;)

Well, maybe before 7-8 days. Today i tried to give him a small peace of bloodworms but he refused.. I don't know what to do. Now he is the fridge, but his belly is getting bigger and bigger.

i would be worried about him not eating for about 7-8 days dos he have any favorite foods mabe try varieing his diet
vets are very nolagable about care, deasesis and speices of animals it may be a good idia to ring them as im sure one vet will know what an axolotl
mabe contact someone on this site whos a vet about yor sick axie
i don't like the sound of the bloating in the black axie when he hasn't been eating
are your axies yowning alot?
are there gills bent forward?
what sex are they
hope your axies improve in health
sam:eek::happy:

i would be worried about him not eating for about 7-8 days dos he have any favorite foods mabe try varieing his diet
vets are very nolagable about care, deasesis and speices of animals it may be a good idia to ring them as im sure one vet will know what an axolotl
mabe contact someone on this site whos a vet about yor sick axie
i don't like the sound of the bloating in the black axie when he hasn't been eating
are your axies yowning alot?
are there gills bent forward?
what sex are they
hope your axies improve in health
sam:eek::happy:

Well, i am very happy, because the wild type axololt, which is in the aquarium, started eating.. but nothing changed with the albino : he has been in the fridge for 4 days and still not eating. When i am trying to give him food, only bubbles comes from his mouth.. Very strange. Maybe you know, how long should i keep him in the fridge?

Thanks for helping!

whilst he's in the fridge, his appetite will decrease, so he'll be less likely to accept foods...but hopefully it'll help with whatever's making his belly get bigger.. :( I hope he gets better soon

The white one certainly looks like he has a stone in his stomach. Have you palpated it to determine it's definitely not a stone?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back