Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New 'Like' feature

RobM

Reaction score
Anyone else a bit confused how it is meant to be used?
Is it a replacement for reputation, or is it meant to be used supplementary to user reputation? Does it make reputation points redundant? Are people likely to click ‘Like’ than to give reputation for a post?

I imagine that it is to be used to help identify useful posts, but I have also seen it used on a more personal and humorous level. Perhaps if someone could explain its intentions it could make things a little clearer.:eek:

mewsie

Reaction score
Hey, I think its just linked to facebook - so if you 'like' it on here, it will appear as a link on facebook and a like in your 'likes' over there.

Molch

Reaction score
I wonder if it should be balanced with a spanking feature as for every yin there must be a yang....

Yahilles

Reaction score
Personally i think it's annoying. Reputation is enough, and these "likes" seem to be just making an additional mess over the forum. Social groups, visitor messages etc. are in my opinion enough social on this forum. The new feature is expendable.

Hey, I think its just linked to facebook - so if you 'like' it on here, it will appear as a link on facebook and a like in your 'likes' over there.
I don't think so - i don't see the like i just recieved, on my wall.

If anybody even THINKS about liking this post, i'll KILL him/her.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you "like" it on the button on the left in the first post of the thread, the thread will appear on your facebook page. If you do the individual ones on the thread on the right, I believe it just shows that you "like" it here. It could really clear up a lot of clutter, like when someone posts a cute picture or tells how their newt laid eggs, instead of 20 posts saying "wayta go" or "cute pic" you could just "like" it. Or if you click "share" on the right, THEN you can post it on your facebook page.

RobM

Reaction score
It could really clear up a lot of clutter, like when someone posts a cute picture or tells how their newt laid eggs, instead of 20 posts saying "wayta go" or "cute pic" you could just "like" it.
That makes a lot of sense! It would suggest that it is more of a personal/social feature in that case.
However at the same time I also think that, that kind of thread would be quite disappointing if it got 20 likes and no personal comments. :confused:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I'm with Dawn on this one. Having one function adds a little clutter, yes, but it's much less than the 50 "oh that's nice" posts some threads get. I'm not sure how the other Mods work, but I know I try to make it a point to read every thread, just to keep tabs on things, and long threads about irrelevant things make me feel like I could've spent my time better elsewhere.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I use the new like button if the post is interesting, funny etc. But I still use the rep button if the post is helpful, informative and so on.
I agree also with Kaysie's and Dawns points :D

Janusz ~ I just couldn't resist it, I did try .

DeCypher

Reaction score
I certainly hope it doesn't get annoying like facebook. I have people on facebook who like every single post I make!

RobM

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies. It is now clear that it is for "interesting, funny etc" (Julia - 2011). I hope I was not the only one unclear :)

Ken Worthington

Reaction score
I have to admit that Facebook is something I have little respect for.
For the purposes of 'identity-theft' and 'data-mining' it's a treasure chest for those so inclined.
Once you have opened an account on Facebook, you cannot 'close' that account as such, or delete/remove data.
Whilst I appreciate that it can make forum administration easier, I feel that 'people being people' will be inclined to click 'Like' rather than add 'reputation'.
I'd hope that the 'Like' wouldn't be over-used....
Personally, I feel that the advantages are outweighed by the disadvantages.

In a nut-shell, I have a sense of disappointment stemming from a potential 'dumbing-down' of this forum through linking it to Facebook.

Thanks for starting this thread, Rob,

KW :eek:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It's actually been linked to facebook for some months now. You can "like" a thread, which is under the original poster's avatar. The "like" function on the right side of the posts, however, is not linked to facebook. Just the "share" function.

mewsie

Reaction score
Its a difficult one, the whole 'dumbing down' thing.

Having moderated Sony AIBO forums for years, we went through the inevitable change from it being highly technical, to, as AIBO became more accessible, more of a social outlet for a much wider range of people.

Sure, a lot of the threads were 'omg, ur AIBO is wikkid' (when essentially, they all look alike, they are robots!) but it took the site in a new direction, and people started to build lasting friendships outside of AIBO as a result.

I do use facebook, much as I think of it as an 'anti-social network' these days, although I don't like to link across sites - it already freaks me out how I get gumtree ads etc all over the web advertising to me things I've been searching for!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It's a sign of the times, Ken. Kids these days, they need to "like" things. If we don't keep up with the trends, we're just old fogeys. I don't think this forum will 'dumb down' much. At least, any more than it does. Really, I see this is two forums: The professional side (which is moderated), where good science is spread, and the 'omg look at my axie' side, which is where kids (and kids at heart) can get together and show off all their pets and still get good advice.

RobM

Reaction score
The younger people want to like everything, the older people want to dislike everything :p

DeCypher

Reaction score
The thread has somehow turned into a 'young people vs. old people' thread. :p

RobM

Reaction score
Well I'm going to consider myself middle aged, and say I don't really mind :yawn:
I request an 'alright' or 'okay' button...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1