Pellet feeding techniques?

Jzehr125

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Ailin
Just got my first axolotl yesterday, an approximately 2 month old, 2 inch long golden albino. The breeder included a bag of the pellet food that were used to feed them. After waiting several hours to let the little one get settled, I tried to feed the pellets. I submerged them slightly, then dropped them, but the axolotl made no attempt to eat them after they had landed. Sometimes, the little guy seemed to "smell" them and would be in the area, but not snap at them. Once, I dropped the pellet almost on his/her head, and then he/she snapped, seemed to "chew" on the pellet, then spit it back out again. I tried with the pellets again today, but the axolotl showed no interest, although then again, I couldn't seem to drop them overly close.

I did get the little one to (enthusiastically) eat frozen bloodworms, but I'd like to use the pellets as more of a staple, with the bloodworms as a supplement/variety. Any advice for how to pellet train the little guy?

I had that issue too. I just kept on trying. I would actually drop the pellet on the Axolotl's head, and it would instantly snap it. Sometimes thy spit it out, sometimes they don't.

Try to drop it as close to the side of their mouth as possible - so that they can see it falling and its close enough that they'll be able to get it. As he gets older, he'll seek out more of the non-moving foods, but sometimes that takes awhile. You could also try bits of earthworm that are small enough.

You could also try bits of earthworm that are small enough.

Feeding bits of earthworm would certainly be better. Most axolotls can't resist the smell of worms. Sometimes they are just picky with the pellets, but usually if they are hungry enough they'll give in.

I only use pellets as a 'snack' and the younger axies I've had had to learn to eat them.
I drop them in front of them. If they don't take it I keep op trying and trying for days and they'll eventually get it.
(I never had an axie who didn't eat them) :D

Abby eats pellets out of my finger tips. I hold the pellet with my fingernails and wiggle it just under his mouth and he just takes it ever so gently and Cookie has them dropped from above(i get her attention first) and she moves in for the big kill and if im now quick enough I have a axie on my finger.
It might take time but you will find how your axies likes to eat.
Lea

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back