Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How can they be stressed?

DeCypher

Reaction score
I finally tested my water. Ammonia levels are at zero. There is hardly any water flow at all. There are plenty of hiding spaces. They are being fed properly. Temperature is at 55 F.

Their gills are still curled forward, even though they have perfect conditions. What's going on here?

carsona246

Reaction score
is there any nitrite? I've read some axolotls just curl their gills forward, so if they've been doing this since you've got them maybe they just curl their gills

Reaction score
Can you post a picture of them? From the ones in your profile, none of them seem to have curved gills. Is their tail tip straight or curved? It could just be how they hold them is a little more forward than usual.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Juveniles especially will have longer gills that seem to flop forward. I wouldn't advise using ONLY the gills as a sign of stress.

DeCypher

Reaction score
I do not know about nitrite. Their tail tips are straight. I recently noticed that their gills aren't always curled forward. Sometimes they are normal.

Erzs

Reaction score
Are they scouting about for food when you notice their gills foward? When mine go on the hunt they push their gills forward and snout around in the sand!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!