Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: In the way to become terrestrial (Metamorphoses)

Prot

Reaction score
Before he lived in intolerable conditions (about hundred individuals in 60 liter aquarium)
Has received its almost dead... Metamorphoses has already begun... It is impossible to recede... I hope he will survive:nono:
Now he receives hormones (Thyreocomb)
He receives hormones together with shrimps...The state of health has improved:bowl: but he became a little passive

sorry for my bad english:crazy:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Poor little guy! Good luck with him, Prot. Have you tried feeding anything other than shrimp?

Prot

Reaction score
Poor little guy! Good luck with him, Prot. Have you tried feeding anything other than shrimp?
Whether it is necessary to give hormones after end a metamorphosis? Many speak that it is necessary to support level of hormones throughout all life (so they live longer):confused:
I would be glad to listen to your opinion on it.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I've never dealt with a morphed axolotl, so I can't say for sure. Hopefully someone will chime in that does have some experience.

Prot

Reaction score
I've never dealt with a morphed axolotl, so I can't say for sure. Hopefully someone will chime in that does have some experience.
I will hope that metamorphoses will pass normally and he will live long and happy life (I know that after transformation they live no more than 3 years)

Prot

Reaction score
Metamorphoses has almost come to the end
The state of health has much more improved (became more vigorous, appetite has changed) Eats less often but much better
During the day two or three times he changes a skin (it proceeds the third day)

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You do know that you'll need to change the tank now. It will need to be set up in a much more terrestrial manner.

Prot

Reaction score
You do know that you'll need to change the tank now. It will need to be set up in a much more terrestrial manner.
Yes I know...
But I think it is necessary to wait still couple of days (gills yet haven't atrophied definitively)
What would you advise as a substratum? (leaves, a moss etc.)

martasauce

Reaction score
I can't comment on a substrate for a morphed axolotl but I would just like to say what a cute little individual.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Soil with leaves and moss over it. It's going to be a burrowing salamander now, so you want to set him up with a substrate in which he can burrow. See this article for more ideas on how to create terrestrial setups.

Prot

Reaction score
Soil with leaves and moss over it. It's going to be a burrowing salamander now, so you want to set him up with a substrate in which he can burrow. See this article for more ideas on how to create terrestrial setups.
Many thanks for the answer.:happy:
I will continue a photo report in this theme.

Prot

Reaction score
Today he last time tried to breathe gills on a land about one minute (strongly made an effort) but then under a jaw the fold (which it is very similar to the frog throat) has finished and he began to breathe as ambystoma

You can look at photos of the original size here

oceanblue

Reaction score
Answering your question do you need to give Thyroid hormones for the rest of its life? The answer is no.
After metamorphosis in tiger salamanders thyroid hormone falls to undetectable levels. Thyroid hormone given continuously will increase the metabolic rate and shorten its life. There is a suggestion that thyroid hormone levels may rise briefly associated with breeding but for most of tiger salamander's adult life there is effectively no thyroid hormone in their blood.

If old large adult axolotls are artificially morphed the result is usually a sickly individual but if morphed at about 150mm, the same sort of size tiger salamanders naturally morph they are often hardy and long lived individuals.

Get conditions right and it may live well beyond three years. They cannot regenerate injuries like un-morphed axolotls but are still often hardy. Give it a terrestrial tank but I find my morphed axolotl still likes to spend a lot of time in a shallow weed filled bowl of water rather than burrow, so I recommend allowing it access to shallow water as well as burrowing material and land.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1