Will my axolotls gills grow back?

kazaj

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I just bought my eigth axolotl from the pet shop but its gills had been eaten off by the other axolotl that was in the tank with it and i was wondering if they will grow back, also will it effect her in anyway not having them.

axolotls.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome, Kazaj. Your photo doesn't show up. To attach a photo, go to "Go Advanced" and then "Manage attachments".

I will move this to the axolotl help area of the forum so that the axie folks will see it.

Hey. I can't see the image at the moment so I'm not sure how severe the damage is.

As long as they are okay, no risk of infection and the axolotl is happy enough and eating the only difference I'd think it would make is your axolotl may go for air more often.

Whether or not they will grow back is another matter. I've got one axolotl whose gills I presume began to shrink due to quality of life and his haven't grown back much just yet, and possibly never will.

But another whose gills were nipped off now has bigger gills than when he first came home, but not as big as my axolotls who have never had gill problems.

i think your axies gills will grow back could you post a picture i can't see it either:happy:

I'll add another 'it's difficult to say' to the replies! One of mine was in a terrible state with all his gills and legs nibbled off when I got him, which have all grown back, except he only has two toes on one foot now!

well thnks everyone. over the past two weeks one side of her gills have grown back and the other side has just started to grow back too.:happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back