Question: Feeding Frequency for a Growing Axie

megsrenee

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! First time axie owner here, and I've tried several searches and can't quite find the info I'm looking for. If anyone could point me to the correct
article/forum/answer I would be very appreciative!

I have 3.5 inch juvie that I'm feeding about 3 pellets (as this is how many it'll eat in the time frame) in the morning and as much as a rinsed blood worm cube as it will eat when I get home from work. This has been daily since I received her (?) two weeks ago. Earthworms are on the agenda for tomorrow as she is growing like a weed and would like to start incorporating more variety. Should I be doing something differently?

I'm looking to know when or at what age/size to wean off the daily feedings into feeding every other day to feeding every 3-4 days...as he or she continues to grow throughout this first year...

Thanks!

First pic: Irresistible baby face
Second: Eating like a pro out of the jar

Attachments

• IMG_0227.jpg
    IMG_0227.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_0230.jpg
    IMG_0230.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 237
Sounds like you have been doing good so far. The more earthworm you feed the better! If you want your axolotl to grow large just feed it as much as it will eat. They will normally refuse food when they can't take any more.

When they're young, you can feed them daily. As s/he starts to get bigger, maybe around 4-5 inches, you can start cutting back food to every other day. Adults usually only need to be fed 2-3x a week.

She is precious! Love that cute face :p

Small earthworms will be fantastic for her to start eating. The calcium and other nutrients in them will be great for growing up strong and healthy and will continue to be the best staple in her diet. Another thing you may want to try if you can find them are black worms. At this size axies love hunting them down and they are also nutrient packed.

As to how much to feed... it is really trial and error.. there is no set amount to follow. After a while you will get to know your little one like the back of your hand and you will know when she is hungry and should eat. The pellets in the morning and the worms later seems good to me for now.

when she get to be about 5 inches long you can ween back on the feeding. A worm every other day or every few days with a few pellets for treats will be good. As she grows you can feed every three days or so...

the best rule to follow.... if the girth of their stomachs is as wide as their heads (looking down on them) then they are well fed. If the stomach is larger, ween back on feeding.... if skinny feed more. Pretty simple. :D

Have fun with your little wee axolotl!

the best rule to follow.... if the girth of their stomachs is as wide as their heads (looking down on them) then they are well fed. If the stomach is larger, ween back on feeding.... if skinny feed more. Pretty simple. :D

That's exactly what I would advise. It really is down to trial and error and knowing your axolotls. One of mine although an adult gets fed every single day. He's tiny! (He's actually being taken to the vet next week to find out why he's so little!) But although an adult I wouldn't feel comfortable feeding him only 3x a week.

It sounds like you're off to a great start with your little axolotl, who is incredibly cute btw!

earthworms are good i feed mine magots as well:happy::wacko::eek::bowl:

Your Axolotls are adorable. :D

I feed them until they stop eating. I vary their diet with pellets, brine shrimp, bloodworms, and earthworms.

I fed daily untill about 10inches with gomez (went to every 2 days when he started getting abit chub as recommended by a nice chap on this forum!) I think that is how ive managed to grow him to such a colossal size! (Him is a her btw!) 14inches and counting, Shes a big girl!

I think it all just depends on the axolotl, one of mine will eat and eat till he throws up another one will refuse food once full its just trial and error! I wouldnt feed any more than once a day tho, I just dont think they need it!

xedx

nicey big gills and sooo lovely!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back