Question: Is this to much water movement?

i haven't actually gotten one yet, just got it all set up and waiting for it now, and want everything to be perfect. The plant by my filter moves quite a bit, but thats all the real water movement.

Do you have a spray bar attachment? That seems to lessen the flow. Also you could put some taller plants or a piece of sponge near the outlet or have it pouring out against the glass to lessen the flow. I'm not the expert so someone better qualified than me will give you an idea but from researching for the last month the above ideas seem to be the go. What type of filter & size tank have you got?

Sorry but what are the actual measurements of the tank (Height, Width, Length). Is that a hang on filter?

Yah it's a hang on one and it's 2' high 17" long and about 1 1/2' wide

Hey anyone? Does anyone else think this tank looks abit on the small side for an axolotl? Forget about gallons its floor space that is important! Tis hard to tell with the video but it looks pretty tight on space. Gomez needs a 3ft tank minimum as he just wont fit in anything smaller, spose its fine for a baby i guess!

Yeah, I think a 20 high has the same length/width of a 10 gallon. It is the absolute minimum for an Axolotl, and you should consider upgrading to a larger tank. Your substrate is also going to cause some issues. Large river rocks like that tend to capture a TON of waste and can foul the water quickly, especially in a relatively small tank like that.

But as for the original question....no the water flow does not seem to be of much concern.

just wandering:eek: is your tank sycled:happy:

Yah and has been running for about a week now without anything in it.

Yah and has been running for about a week now without anything in it.

It took mine almost a month to just start cycling. So even if it has been a week, you should start checking the water levels just to be sure.

Yah. I will also be doing daily water changes for a few months

looks ok, you may want to add a airstone and restrict the flow so you have a little movement in the water, or you may find your axie gasping and hanging about at the top of your tank.

I agree with ed, your tank is just big enough for one axie, you should consider upgrading if possible.

I don't mean for this to sound rude to anyone, these are personal observations, so please don't take offense...

Do you have a spray bar attachment?
The amount of water flow in this tank does not require a spray bar attachment, that would only be needed if a stronger power filter were used in order to disperse the water flow a bit more.

Hey anyone? Does anyone else think this tank looks abit on the small side for an axolotl? Forget about gallons its floor space that is important! Tis hard to tell with the video but it looks pretty tight on space. Gomez needs a 3ft tank minimum as he just wont fit in anything smaller, spose its fine for a baby i guess!
A 20 gallon high tank meausures about 24.25x12.5x16.75 inches (61.6x31.8x42.5 centimeters). While I agree that floor space is certainly more important than height, this tank will comfortably house an adult axolotl, if not 2 small adults.

Yeah, I think a 20 high has the same length/width of a 10 gallon.
A 20 high doesn't have as much floor space as a 20 long, but it does have more floor space than a 10 gallon.

looks ok, you may want to add a airstone and restrict the flow so you have a little movement in the water, or you may find your axie gasping and hanging about at the top of your tank.
An airstone is not necessary for an axolotl. It is normal for them to take an occasional breath of air from the atmosphere. Axolotls can live perfectly fine in a tank with no filtration at all as long as you don't mind changing more water. I've always kept my adult axolotls with little or no filtration without problems and none of them hang out at surface or frequently gasp for air.

Also my tank seems to stay at a steady 69 degrees is that ok? I know it says room temperature but all the tank I have looked at seemed to be around 60-65 degrees. Should I invest in a cooler?

69 will be fine, if you added a fan it should be even better, but 69 will not cause any harm

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back