Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: How often do I feed my axolotls?

Jafftab

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Just got my first 2 axolotls yesterday, they're juvaniles (Probably about 4 inches). They've taken to their new home well and gobbled up the live brine shrimp I put in yesterday. There's a ghost shrimp in with them which has survived so far that accidently got put in the bag with the new axies at the LFS. (I'm guessing he wont last long).

Can anyone give me some advice on how often I should feed them and whats the best food for them?

*Also I was told at my LFS that they can survive in water up to 30 degrees C, but im pretty sure that's incorrect. My water is currently 20/21 degrees. Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Erzs

Reaction score
I'd feed axolotls of that size bloodworms/small earthworms daily. Do you have any pics of the little guys? The best diet for axolotls is earthworms but a bit of variation is always nice!

The best way to judge your axolotls are of healthy weight is that their tummy is the width of their head.

You should try keep your temp below 20. =]

Head here: Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander if you haven't already for some basics the petshop probably hasn't told you! And of course stick around on the forums and ask as much as you like. =]

Jafftab

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

I'll try get some pics of the little guys up tonight.

Jafftab

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay. Here are some pics of my little Mexican friends Chicharito (Leucistic) and Marquez (The dark one). They are a bit bigger now and I'm usually hand feeding them cut up pieces of prawn every 2 days, which they seem to love. The temperature sits at 19/20 degrees C so they should be comfortable at that level. :happy:

Attachments

• P1000126.jpg
    P1000126.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 3,202
  • P1000104.jpg
    P1000104.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 2,787
  • P1000101.jpg
    P1000101.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 1,945
  • P1000107.jpg
    P1000107.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 2,014
  • P1000087.jpg
    P1000087.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 2,300
  • P1000069.jpg
    P1000069.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 3,416

lea

Reaction score
They are very nice looking axies. I love the freckles on chicharito face....very cute.

Morrison

Reaction score
I agree, the freckles are cute!
And I also agree with feeding them wormies daily :D
(They do grow fast huh? Silly little things :D)

Black leaves

Reaction score
Maybe you can give them frozen ghost shrimp if you want to live shrimp are too fast for axies to catch.. Frist, you buy a live ghost shrimp and get rid of the water and just store them in the fridge.. my axies love it and may take 2-3 shrimp a day + with blood worm of course... :blob:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!