Thinking of swapping filters

iChris

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Chris
I currently have a Hagen Hang on the back cascade filter, and it seems to do the job, but the filter cartridges clog very quickly and are near impossible to clean so the water passes through again without it overflowing over the top, and are about $15 for a pack that contains only a few new filter pads, and I just can't justify this expense, considering I only get about 2 weeks of use with each cartridge.

I'm thinking of switching to a air powered internal sponge filter mainly for the reduced water movement and the fact that it will help keep the tank cooler. the tank he is currently in is a 40L one, abit on the small side but he lives in there quite happily, and I am planning on upgrading soon, will a sponge filter, in conjunction with the weekly water changes be enough to keep the water clear?

I used a tom sponge filter on my ten gallon. I loved the spray bar that they had with it, but it did not keep my tank clean at all. It kept it cycled, which was nice, but the amount of mulm that builded up in my ten gallon it was being used for was unbeleivable. I now have a hob filter that I'm not super happy with the amount of current it creates(made a spraybar out of a bottle), but it keeps the tank clean, and Im not planning on switching back. Maybe it was just the kind of sponge filter that I had, because I remember keeping guppies forever ago with a sponge filter and I don't remember my tank being too dirty, but I also had gravel, so maybe all the gunk sunk while in this tank the sand kept it all at the surface.

if you get a powerful internal sponge filter and clean the sponge everyt ime you do a water change then it shood be fine:happy:

Have you considered a canister type filter? You can find them fairly cheap on eBay usually. Especially if you go with a mini-canister type like a Zoo Med 501 or something similar. The 501 is a major pain to clean but you only have to clean it about once a month or less. That's another convenience with a canister, fairly low maintenance.

Have you considered a canister type filter? You can find them fairly cheap on eBay usually. Especially if you go with a mini-canister type like a Zoo Med 501 or something similar. The 501 is a major pain to clean but you only have to clean it about once a month or less. That's another convenience with a canister, fairly low maintenance.

I have a big canister filter on 5ft tropical tank, and it does work great.

I'm thinking of a air powered one just to help keep the tank cooler.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back