Best course of action?

mewsie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey y'all!

New tank should be here Wednesday, a 3'3" tank, to house all three of my axies.

At the moment, Roscoe and Chester are in one tank, with a power filter, and Albi is in another with an air-filter. Both tanks are cycled.

The new tank is coming with both a juwel internal filter and an external one they threw in for free.

What is the very best way to do the swap over for them all (I'm assuming some kind of mesh divider would be good for a while to separate R&C from Albi?), avoiding any 'new tank syndrome' and getting the new tank cycled as quickly as possible?

Use filter media and substrate from the old tank if you can. Monitor the parameters closely, and is there a significant size different between the Axolotls?

I've been looking for a large breeder net to seperate my two in my 3 foot tank. I found a net that's long enough to go width wise, but it's not tall enough. If you find an easy way to seperate them let me know.
But as eric said, best way to speed up a cycle is to put the old filter media in the tank, and it should be cycled much quicker. If your not using the old tanks, I'd suggest to use the power/air filters that's currently in the old tank in your new tank until it's cycled.

Use filter media and substrate from the old tank if you can. Monitor the parameters closely, and is there a significant size different between the Axolotls?

Sorry, Eric & Carson, only just noticed replies on this thread!

There is some difference between the biggest and smallest - Albi is 12cm, Chester is 20cm. Do you think this is still too much of a difference to put them together? They haven't met yet - so the plan is to separate them using the mesh I'm making the moss wall out of - then bend it back round to the back of the tank when I separate them.

I suppose I could put Albi in the tank vacated by the big two for a while - but would be nice to have them all together.

I'll run the old filters in the new tank alongside the new filter, and, put as many of the old ornaments as possible in the new one - so, is the general opinion that it's ok to put them straight in and just monitor the params carefully?

In terms of the physical transfer, should I float them in a tub on the top of the new tank and slowly add water in?

Can't wait, the tank has been dispatched, so any day now..!

I would acclimate them like you would if you were first introducing them to a tank, but cycle wise it should be fine if you're running the same filter/substrate. I would float them in a tub to get the temp acclimated, and then slowly add water in till they're ok to be dumped in. Good luck on the tank!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back