FYI: 123 hatched and counting

vampybabe

Reaction score
Country
England
Well my 1st ever adventure with eggs in the tank..... 2 weeks later and Ive tuppawear everywhere and 123 babies swimming around and eggs are still hatching.
Im feeding them live daphina and I think they are eating them.
Obviously Im not expecting all to survive even though it would be nice :) but Im wondering what to do with them if a lot of them do. Im going to keep a couple but once they are old enough where is the best place to sell them? On here?
I dont want to sell them to just anyone, Id want to make sure they get a good home. :happy:

i'd go for here, and possibly around your friend circle. I'm having the same thoughts atm, because my c.orientalis are breeding, I've come to the conclusion that any I can't look after, will be put up on here, then maybe this pet shop owner (family) that I very much trust, and possibly a few friends.

but if you can find a pet shop that are genuinely interested, and trustworthy you may be able to have a running thing going with them.

It must be a moomin thing :) Cant wait to get some baby shots like yours.
Theres the aquatic shop where I but my food from that have 2 axies but they look very sorry for themselves and have gravel in the tank so im a bit weary about giving them some. Even though they did mention taking some of the eggs off my hands for me, too late now theyve pretty much all hatched lol.
On here it will probably be then. A friend on facebook seems interested in a couple so Ive pointed her towards this website to research them to see if they are for her.

You could put an ad on your local classifieds too and then screen the people who respond. That is where I first discovered axies! Not soon enough to get one unfortunately! But now I have all the time to do the research and get the perfect setup!

good luck with your baby's ^^
hope to see some pics in a couple of days!

Thanks, lost a couple this morning :( but heres a pic of a couple of the wild type ones. the count is about 130 ish now
vampybabe-albums-hatchlings.html

Hi

I just thought I'd say we had very bad experience with pet shops... we have given them healthy youngsters and they starved them, had the set up wrong.. We don't do pet shops anymore. They just have no idea what axolotls are. We had to save several of their own animals because they had wrong size gravel there and axies looked stressed..

Dal

Thanks, lost a couple this morning :( but heres a pic of a couple of the wild type ones. the count is about 130 ish now
vampybabe-albums-hatchlings.html

Just wondering how its going with your babies. Mine are about the same age as yours..I have been separating them by size, and they are all starting to get their front legs. I have about 140, Love to know how yours are doing.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back