Babies are hatching, how long should this take?

Rhandi Claxton

Reaction score
Country
United States
Four of the eggs hatched!! They hatched last night, Now it's 4pm, and only a couple more hatched...Is this normal? Can they stay in the eggs too long? I am more than ready plastic containers, daphnia, I even have homes for them when the time comes. Do I really have to be that patient:).

calm down! and congrats:eek::happy: how about posting some picks
how many eggs do you have? if only 4 out of 20 hatch then don't worry and feed the ones that have hatched dathnia
if 4 out of 5 have hatched then you may want to help your axie out of the egg if its rigguling and still in the egg in a weeks time
i woldn't think about homes yet since non or very few could survive:(
i know its a horible thought but it is likly if its your axies first batch
sam:happy::eek::wacko:

They can hatch over a period of a couple days. Once most of them have hatched, you can consider helping the remaining out of their shells. I find that most tend to hatch overnight/first thing in the morning when its quieter, so yes you have to be patient lol!

So the eggs that have hatched (we are up to 10) I scooped the babies out and placed them into a plastic container with some daphnia. I don't expect all of them to make it but there are still about 50 eggs with wiggly babies (probably more I haven't counted, so I do have hope. And don't worry I know what the probability of survival is but they are so cute and most seem to be pretty active in their little casings. I just don't want to leave them in there too long,..okay I am breathing again...geesh, I gave birth three times and don't think I was this impatient. I spend most of my time after work just watching them. I will post some pictures tomorrow. Some of the eggs look like they are 'ripped' open but the babies don't seem to want to come out. Boy I think my gray hairs just doubled these last couple of days.. Okay I admit it I just want to help them all along, and if that means getting them out of those eggs I am ready..
Thank you for the replies, I have been all over this site trying to read about every possible scenario. Wow there are so many.

the ones that are open with baqbys in you can take the babys out of the eggs:happy:

The larvae will come out of their eggs on their own time.

Thank you, I just got home from work and there are about 10 more that have hatched. I am so happy. I did post some pictures, but I think I put them up as a new post. I realize I need to be more patient. The babies that I took out last night are swimming around a little bit so I am very excited, and will be patient with the rest of the eggs. Should I change the water completely every day or just partially, since they are in plastic containers?

When I was raising larvae, I'd turkey-baster out all the waste, and around 90% of the water in the larval tanks, and then refill it with water from the adult's tank. I'd do this every other day or so. Of course, that depends on how dense your larvae are, how much you're feeding them, and what you're feeding them.

I find that you can do water changes with a tea strainer:happy:

You don´t need to clean the water so often. The most important thing is that they have a lot of food.
I breed a lot of animals and I have to say, axolotls are almost the most easiest ones to breed.

I am feeding them daphnia, which brings me to another question how can I be sure if they are eating enough. I use a syringe to put the daphnia in there, and it looks like a lot but they (the daphnia) are so small, I don't think I could feed them too much, can I? As of now I am just putting a small amount in each container. Should I be tracking how much?

I am not using a bubbler, or anything to aerate the water in the plastic containers if that makes a difference on the frequency or amount of water to change?

the live daphnia will not foul the water until after they die and the axies will eat them long before that happens!

Thank you 'twistedfisher'. You have been by far the best resource, not only for my daphnia, but for all of my questions.
:D

youll be surprised how many of those tiny thingies will be eaten by those cute little axy's ^^
and when theyre full they will stop eating so dont worry ^^
and those daphnia can survive a lot but just check if there ar e no loads of dead ones in the tank so it wont polute the water.
go little axy's!! grow and be big ^^

So I now have about 45 hatched, and a plant with at least 30 more eggs, and more still on the bottom of the tank just a wiggling about in their eggs. So far all seem to be doing well. I put about 10 in each little container, except for the first one to hatch, he is in his own bowl and my daughter has named him Derrick. They are so adorable. One will swim over to another and start a chain reaction. I guess I expected to wake up and all would be hatched, but now we are going on to day four and they are still hatching?? I know that I will be losing a few as they look (I hate to say it but) deformed. There were a couple that didn't seem to be moving around at all and just when I thought they were dead they swam away from me. I have been putting daphnia in with them twice a day, they seem to be eating it. So fingers crossed, we will have lots of survivors.
I have changed Derricks water, but not the others so far. Should I keep using the water from the big tank (it hasn't been changed since the eggs were laid), or set up a bucket for water changes (we do this for our fish tanks)? Oh and there is a filter in the big tank that has been running the whole time.

I've been using a container full of dechlorinated water for their water changes except for today(as my water was shut off) and I used my cycled tanks water. It important to do frequent chances when theyre in such small containers as the waste builds up quickly. In my opinion, if they haven't hatched by tomorrow, I'd help them along and open them up gently.

That's what I was thinking about helping them along... There are a few that look bigger in the egg than the ones that have hatched! I think I will do partial water changes on them tomorrow. I don't want to stress them out with a full one, unless it is necessary.

I will be bringing some of the babies to the High School probably next week, so that the B. E. T. class can rear them for a few months. They are setting up for them now. I will send some daphnia for them to use on the weekends to ensure the babies have plenty to eat. The teacher has them hatching brine for the babies. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. They are newer to Axolotls than I am, although I know that the whole 11th grade class has been researching them for over a week now. :supercool:

The larva really do need large water changes. The "gentlest" way I've found is to use a turkey baster to suck out uneaten food(for brine shrimp) and obvious waste. Then pour(over a net just in case) most of the water out. Have another container ready full of clean water and tip the last bit of water with the larva over into it. I'd be a little worried about the class leaving them over the weekend when they're so young - you might consider waiting at least a week or two to let them get bigger/stronger. Hopefully the daphnia would suffice. Also keep in mind that since this is there first clutch, large losses are a real possibility. Often times they'll be developing fine and then one by one, they start to die off. Hopefully that won't happen, but if it does, it's probably not anything the students did or could have done differently.

try increasing the temperature of the water in there tank. the colder the water, the longer they'll take to hatch. im in new zealand, where it's winter at the moment, so i've had to to use 'artificial' heat to speed up the process of mine hatching.
i have just under 20 eggs. four have hatched by themselves, and i've helped one by getting it out of it's egg w some scissors (sounds yuck, but it works)
i have put all of the axies into an a aquarium, and put them near the heater to warm them up a bit because the rest are overdue to be hatched, and that seems to be the only way to move them along:eek:

hope that helps

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back