Paddletail newts

mogster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, im new to this forum but need some advice :happy: I Have 2 paddletail newts that I purchased out of Pets at Home in the UK 4yrs ago.
My beasts have been fine but recently they have started fighting with each other...and just today I have found lots of round things all over the artificial plants in the tank that are surrounded with a jelly matter...Im kinda assuming they may be eggs...where do I go from here...I am totally new to this! Any help would be most welcome, thanx :eek:

Hi Mogster. Welcome to the forum.
Congratulations on having kept this species for 4 years. Yes paddletails can be very territorial and aggressive towards each other. You can sometimes improve the situation by proving a large enclosure with plenty of hides (or separating them).

What you describe certainly well sound like they could be eggs!
Here is some suggested reading:
Caudata Culture Species Entry - Pachytriton - Paddletail
Caudata Culture Articles - Raising Newts and Salamanders from Eggs

Once you have read those articles, you may well have questions, so feel free to post your questions in this section of the forum: Warty Newts (Paramesotriton & Laotriton) & Paddletail Newts (Pachytriton)
We will then do our best to help you :eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back