Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New from the USA

HelmsRacing

Reaction score
Hey new here from the USA. Just dropping in to get advice as I am making a Newt tank. I have bought the TetraFauna Viquarium and put it in a 20L tank. a few questions I will have are how long to let the water circulate? do i need water heater? can i put different types of newts together? What kinds of live plants do they like? What kind of lighting? any answers would be appreciated.

RobM

Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the forum!
I shall attempt to help you with your questions.

how long to let the water circulate?
Are you referring to cycling a tank? See this article: Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling

do i need water heater?
It is unlikely, you are more likely to require cooling than heating (depends where you keep the tank and what species you keep), newts and salamanders tend to prefer cooler temperatures than we do.

can i put different types of newts together?
It is inadvisable to mix species.

What kinds of live plants do they like?
Newts and salamanders don't seem to be picky when it comes to fauna, however each species has different requirements, so its more of how many plants? as much as what type of plant?
You may be forced to choose plants that do best in the water temperature you are required to provide. However most plants found at your local fish shop will be fine.

What kind of lighting?
Aquarium lighting is fine, however how often you use it and for how long may be determined by how much natural light your aquarium may get.

I suggest before you proceed any further with your tank design, you have a look through the various care sheets found on Caudata Culture: Caudata Culture Species Database - All Families and find out what species it is you would like to keep. The tank should really be designed around the species, so when looking for your suitable species, consider what sort of setup you already have, and what temperatures your aquarium is likely to be throughout the year.

HelmsRacing

Reaction score

Attachments

• 1614a87b2f03__1297728070000.jpeg
    1614a87b2f03__1297728070000.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 111

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

With the huge amount of gravel the viquarium water circulates through your biofilter will be established quickly. I'd just plunk the newts right in. Now you have to decide exactly what you want. It is a great tank for newts that like to go from land to water a lot. I use one for T. marmoratus and am thinking of setting another one up for Triturus karelinii.

HelmsRacing

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

With the huge amount of gravel the viquarium water circulates through your biofilter will be established quickly. I'd just plunk the newts right in. Now you have to decide exactly what you want. It is a great tank for newts that like to go from land to water a lot. I use one for T. marmoratus and am thinking of setting another one up for Triturus karelinii.

Sounds good! I bought a plant today and also bought BioEarth for the land part. All they sell around here at the pet stores is Fire Belly Newts. Not sure of the exact names of different newts and such. Possibly give me a few websites I could buy some from? and good water/land newt names?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1