Question: Is there such thing as "normal" skin peeling?

Reaction score
Country
United States
My melanoid axie has peeling skin along his sides. This came on within the last day(very suddenly). I tested the water and the ammonia was VERY slightly green(closer to the 0 than the .25). Nitrates were about 20. Nitrites 0. pH 7.2. He doesn't seem bothered by it and was eager to eat. I siphoned the sand to do a water change, but I can't add any water at the moment thanks to my apartment complex turning the water off to fix a leak all day. I will top it off as soon as our water gets turned back on.

I see some posts about skin peeling mention that it can be normal? The only thing different in their life is that they've gotten bloodworms leftover from the juveniles that I have for the past 2 days, but they've had them in the past and didn't have problems. I suspect that may be why there was a very slight amount of ammonia(since they're messy and get stuck in the plants) Oh, and he was displaying mating behavior on Monday, but the other one in the tank was not interested(still too young I think). The other one in the tank is completely normal.

Attachments

• IMG_0419.jpg
    IMG_0419.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_0422.jpg
    IMG_0422.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that axolotls shed every once in a while. Im assuming that's 0 nitrites.

Yeah, so have I, but I've never seen a picture and when I searched on here, most of the posts were in regards to it being a problem. I just don't want to let it go too far and it become a problem. One post mentioned a tea bath for it, but I don't want to stress him out further if it is normal. Our water was turned back on and so their tank has been topped off and cleaned. He ate some pellets and an earthworm and is acting normal, so hopefully its nothing :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back