Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Removing eggs from plants

Underachiever

Reaction score
At the moment all my eggs are attached to fake plants which ive put into a hatchery in the tank. Ive noticed people talking about putting eggs into small containers in order to feed, clean etc. Question is when should I try to remove the eggs from the plants? If at all? Or should I wait for them to hatch? I just worried that with the amount of plants in the hatchery I cant really see a lot of the eggs to keep an eye on them

Thanks

bayhicoach

Reaction score
I also had eggs laid on plastic plants. I removed the eggs before I put them in the hatching containers. I think it would be fine to leave the eggs in place until they hatch but it does make it harder to monitor their progress. My first attempt at raising axies was very successful and I kept one axie in a container-starting small and moving up as the axies grew. The smallest containers were about 200 mL only. I didn't put them together until they were about 3" (10 cm or more) long. I think that keeping the axies in individual containers allowed me to be successful because I could make sure each individual was properly fed.

Reaction score
Probably with your hands(wash well, no soap/lotion, etc.) and gently slide them off. The eggs are pretty tough so don't worry too much about breaking them.

Jake

Reaction score
Whats the best way to remove them from the plants without damaging them?

As animalloversfb said the best way to remove them is with your hands. It's a good idea to wait until about the second day after they are laid because prior to that they will be more prone to "clumping" together.

Reaction score
I've changed the water partially 2-3 times, depends on how much sand/dirt is stuck to it. If you keep it in a shallow dish, than 2-3 times(before they hatch) should be fine.

Underachiever

Reaction score
After all that im still unsure whether or not to move them :/

I removed some eggs from a couple of plants into a tupperware box, their still all stuck together and im not sure whether its better to keep moving them? When do they start moving about? I was so not ready for all of this heh

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I remove all my eggs, every time. It's just easier to monitor them.

They'll start flipping in the eggs when they've developed significantly. I usually notice occasional flipping around when I can see their gills formed. They'll really start getting twitchy in the few days before they hatch.

I don't think anyone's ever ready for their first clutch. I know I wasn't! And I still managed to raise about 100 of 'em. You'll do just fine.

Underachiever

Reaction score
Thanks, I kinda had a little freak out bout it today :/ I'll start moving the rest tomorrow I guess. Also ive got some that still look like they did on day 1 (they about day 6 now) so im guessing these are un fertilised and I should remove them?

Cannot thank you guys enuff for your help on here

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Those ones are probably unfertile. There's no reason to remove them unless they start going fungus-y. If they're easy to remove, then do so, but if the infertile ones are in a big clump, they don't have to go. I usually don't pull out my infertile ones until it's quite obvious, like when the fertile embryos start developing gills.

Underachiever

Reaction score
Im assuming it'll be fairly obvious when ones start going fungus-y etc? think i must just be too impatient, all this doing nothing and leaving them is weird heh

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Be grateful! When they hatch, you'll have your hands full! It's like the calm before the storm.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1