Question: Eco-Complete Planted?

dvl445

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I am new to Axolotls. I jsut bought two 3 inch juvi's from Jay and I switched out my Eco-Complete Planted substrate for sand.

(Eco-Complete Plant Substrate)

I am worried however about my plants as I don't think they like sand very much. (I personally hate it) I was wondering if anyone knows if my previous substrate was safe? Does anyone use it?

Thanks!

James

That should be fine to use as well, although I'd imagine hard to clean axie poop out of. However, your plants will likely not be happy regardless as axies tend to uproot plants fairly regularly and the amount of light they need compared to what axies prefer is also conflicting. You may want to get a separate tank for your plants if you want them to survive.

you know people say axie's uproot plants, but I have a fairly planted tank and mine never get uprooted.

I think you are pretty lucky with a gentle axie. I had some very pretty plants when I started out and none have survived. I think the low-light axies like may be part of the problem, but htey also get moved all over the tnak. All i have now is some java moss, which does fairly well but catches bloodworms and needs rinsing. I even tried to pick out plants on the "hardy, low-light" list, but apparently mine prefer the fake plants! The planted tanks always look so nice, I wish mine would have flourished. What types of plants do you use?

lol, that would be annoying, I catch mine trying to eat some of my water wisteria every once in a while. Out of everything I had in my tank the only thing that seems to be doing pretty well is water wisteria, and cabomba. I have two types of cabomba, the red kind, and the regular green kind. I also had some red water milfoil that looked like it was doing well, until it just randomly started disappearing. I'm pretty sure it's all gone now, but it seemed to be hanging in there for a month or so. I like super hardy stem plants, becuase they don't melt, and grow pretty fast, so it looks like you have a nice planted tank when you really only have 1 or two types

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back