Feeding concerns

dallasar

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys,

Thanks for checking out my post. I just recently got 3 small axolotls (about 2.5'' each). They're currently in a 30 gallon tank. My concern is: I'm not sure they're all eating. I put pellets in and sometimes they happen to land next to one who may or may not eat it right away. I've been putting more in to compensate for my doubts, but I don't really want to be doing partial water changes every couple days. Would it be better to transfer them to smaller containers for feeding time or would this be too stressful? Any input? Maybe I'm just being paranoid but I don't want the little guys to be hungry!!

Yeah transfer them. You don't want to be pouring pellets into the tank, the water will foul quickly. Axolotls that small can either be kept separately or together but watch out while you feed them. Another option would be to feed them bloodworms for now until they are a bit larger...bloodworms tend to be easier to feed and taken more readily.

Hey guys,

Thanks for checking out my post. I just recently got 3 small axolotls (about 2.5'' each). They're currently in a 30 gallon tank. My concern is: I'm not sure they're all eating. I put pellets in and sometimes they happen to land next to one who may or may not eat it right away. I've been putting more in to compensate for my doubts, but I don't really want to be doing partial water changes every couple days. Would it be better to transfer them to smaller containers for feeding time or would this be too stressful? Any input? Maybe I'm just being paranoid but I don't want the little guys to be hungry!!

Congrats on your new little axies :D

Another option is to try and hand feed them with long tweezers in your tank that way you will know if they are eating the food but it might be easier to try a small worm with them as the worms movement will attract them a lot quicker than a pellet. My axies readily take pellets and will even swim to the surface to hand feed but they are 8 inches so try with the worms and if you cant get any small ones you can chop them up or as shizeric says bloodworms are also another good food source but if they dont go for the tweezer thing seperate containers is also fine and maybe an easier way anyway and you could hand feed in the containers or just drop them in near the axies but be careful if they are close together as axies snap at there food so if a tail etc is in the way it can also get eaten.

Good luck!

yea my larvae is about 2.5 inches now and he's finally caught on that my hand means food. I usually feed earthworms and hand feed him, it doesn't take too long for them to catch the worms.

Thanks guys so much, I'll give blood worms a shot, and earth worms too. I appreciate the feedback!

Just a quick update. Pet shop was all out of bloodworms but had live tubifex worms, they talked me into trying those. My little axies are eating them like popcorn, it's so funny to see them slurp the worms up. I did also go ahead and put them into small containers for now until they get bigger. Thanks again for your help!

Glad we can help :D

Ok I really would not recommend live tubifex worms as they can carry parasites and bacteria and aren't very nutricious for your axie either so a high risk for no reason as worms really should be the staple diet.

Sorry

I've found in the US, a LOT of people confuse live bloodworms, blackworms, and tubifex. But like Zoe said, I wouldn't feed live tubifex.

If they are indeed blackworms, they're perfect. I suggest doing a bit of research on what they look like and comparing what you have to internet pictures.

And at 2.5 inches, they're big enough for small chunks of earthworms.

yea my larvae is about 2.5 inches now and he's finally caught on that my hand means food. I usually feed earthworms and hand feed him, it doesn't take too long for them to catch the worms.

I was wondering if worms that have been in peat that has miracle grow in it will hurt the axolotl.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back