Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How many lotls in this tank?

AuraCantos

Reaction score
I have a 90 gallon tank that I've had for the better part of a year. It had fish in it for a while, then got broken down and put on the back porch over the winter. I wanted more room in my bedroom; now that my pet rats have all passed due to age, I have more room than I know what to do with. So I was considering setting up my 90 gallon again, and moving my axolotls into that. But I do have a few issues with setting it back up again.

Firstly, cooling. Right now, my 40 is at the perfect temp (ranges from 62-64). Since it's been getting warmer, I've added my fan back to the tank, and it's keeping it steady. Would a larger tank like a 90 gallon be harder to keep cool, or easier? I know it'll help buffer the water chemistry, but I'm more worried about the temp. I have already looked around for chillers, and am thinking about getting the third one down on this page: Aqua Euro USA Aquarium Chillers at ReefPlayground It's rated for an 80g, but I think it'd be okay since my house stays -relatively- cool in the summer, plus I'd have a fan and all.

Secondly- would a 90g tank just be TOO much for these guys? I know they like to swim to the top and gulp air sometimes, so would the hight of this tank be too much?

Thirdly- if I did decide to set it up, would it be possible to fit another axolotl into the tank, making it 4 lotls total? I really have my eye on getting one of Jay's golden albinos, the spotted kind, but want everyone to fit in comfortably! How about a 55 gallon? Would that be able to hold 4 axolotls comfortabley?

And help would be appreciated. :)

Last edited:

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
A giant tank like that is going to be harder to keep cool than a 40 gallon. And 4 Axolotls would be fine in that, or in a 55 gallon as well. I don't believe there is anything as too much space...I'm sure it's not nearly as deep as the water they come from in the wild.

MereB

Reaction score
It's been my experience that larger tanks are easier to control the temp (and everything else) in. They heat up slower due to the sheer size of the body of water they do however also take longer to cool down again if left unassisted for the same reason but since you plan on adding a chiller to it I'd go for it. The natural heating and cooling time will work in your favor. It will be slower to warm up meaning it will stay cooler for longer making your chillers job a bit easier as it wont be switching on and off as often or be on for as long at a time as it would have in a smaller tank.

AuraCantos

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'll probably end up doing it, and get my little golden albino lotl in mid-July for my birthday. :rolleyes:

But first, I need to order my chiller, and re-silicone the 90g. It holds water fine, but the edges are starting to frazzle, and I don't want to be looking at an ugly tank. :p

Grete

Reaction score
What's the footprint of your tank? I've got a 93 gallon with a footprint of 60" x 18" housing my 4 adults. I've contemplated adding one or two of my albino's, but the 4 current inhabitants have voiced their unhappiness should I follow through with that decision.... 4 in a 90 would be great, they're alot more active IMO when they have room to romp, hide, swim....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1